Leaf Springs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricP

V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
2002 1st Gen
Reaction score
Hello! I have a 2002 4x2 with the original factory leaf springs. I've started towing a 3000 lb travel trailer occasionally.
The leaf springs seem sufficient, but should I consider replacing them with a new set, or add a suspension enhancement? I tow with a weight distribution hitch that does a good job of leveling everything out.
Any thoughts or advice?
Thanks.

Not for everyone, but most that install Monroe 58617 load assist shocks swear by them.
For $114 a pair shipped it wouldn't hurt taking a look. Many reviews on various forums, do a search.

Not for everyone, but most that install Monroe 58617 load assist shocks swear by them.
For $114 a pair shipped it wouldn't hurt taking a look. Many reviews on various forums, do a search.

Thanks. That was actually one of the things I was looking at.

Consider upgrading from FactoryOE 1200LbRated LeafSprings to HeavyDuty 1650LbRated LeafSprings.
Click here for more info.

2001.Ford_Susp.Rear_Sprg.1650_ATS.43-1389hd.GIF
2001.Ford_Susp.Rear_Sprg.1650_ATS.43-1389hd.GIF

Attachments

• 2001.Ford_Susp.Rear_Sprg.1200_ATS.43-1389=Ford.1L54-5560-bc.GIF
    2001.Ford_Susp.Rear_Sprg.1200_ATS.43-1389=Ford.1L54-5560-bc.GIF
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
Your ride will be stiffer
Kind of what I figured, which is why I asked.
A general question to everybody:
Would replacing the 20 year old leaves with new stock ones be enough to meet my needs?

could add a add a leaf, for the most part you will not notice until weight is added and springs sags down from load, then the leaf stops from sagging down, once engaged it rides stiff, but generally way cheaper then new springs and easy to install. ya do not notice on regular driving. they are some what generic and cover a wide range of vehicles.
1659550081694.png

do not know about this one just posted it to show, it says 70 bucks but i have used rancho in past.

Watch loaded shocks if your lower plates are rusted, The shock plates are not designed to hold real loads. Maybe look into a Roadmaster Active suspension add on... Easy and nothing major to take apart..

Latest posts