Leakage Problems...Water Everywhere

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
2003 ST. No moon roof. Resealed the third brake light 1.5 yrs ago. No noticeable leaks since (water stains on the ceiling, prior to sealing the light).

Had some big rains the past 3 weeks in central ohio. Notice some sloshing sounds on passenger side when I would accelerate/brake. Pulled the mats up and water everywhere, but only on the passenger side. I took a rolling pin and rolled the mats from the center, outward. Shop Vac sucked almost a gallon of water out of the side trough.

Any ideas?

Check the drain hole in the passenger side air intake below the black plastic cowl. if clogged, water can overflow into the heater box and then inside the cab.

where is the drain at? im having difficulty finding it. I took the cowls off, passenger side there was a cylindrical piece of metal, although my hand was to big to fit in there.

Roof racks....

Todd Z

Good call on the roof rack....looks like you helped me find the leak. dirt/debris was jammed under the passenger side rack, at the very rear...was beginning to rot the roof under the rack.

Appreciate it guys, hopefully the sealant holds up.

The only remaining question I have is why no water stains on the ceiling if water was coming in from the roof rack? Third brake light leak had water stains in the rear passenger side.

so for future reference for anyone having similar issues. The roof rack was leaking into the rear passenger side. Sealed under the roof rack and around it.

Thought I fixed it. WRONG.

Was getting the same amount of water in the side of the truck when it rained so I went back and checked out the rear corner (under the roof rack) and it was dry with no sign of water. As I was getting out of the back seat of the truck I notice the sun glaring off of water where I had pulled the floor mat up on the passenger side so I could vacuum the water out the was collecting there. The glare was bouncing like it was reflecting off of water...Sure enough there was a very steady amount of water coming in in front of the door on the side of the truck (exactly where your passengers right foot would rest). There is a series of wiring that run through there and a couple holes...still unsure of where EXACTLY it's coming from.

I am heading out now to take pics of where I think it's leaking from. I'll try to post later

I had a car years ago that had the windshield replaced and the seal on the windshield was crappy. Water ran in, rolled down the back of the dash/firewall, and went under the carpet. Rusted the hell out of the floorboards front and rear on the passenger side. :angry:

TRACket Paul was right in that the water is coming from a leak/blockage within the area under the 2 cowls. I put silicon on the cabin air filter gasket, which had rotted. I couldn't find the drain, though.

Latest posts