Leaking again

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackson Ellis

Reaction score
Hey everyone, please help if you can. I posted about a transmission leak a few weeks ago. I took my ST (2010 4X4 V8, 68K miles) to the dealer, and was told the leak had been fixed by torquing down a bolt. The leak came back, and I wanted your opinions on the next step.

In the pic you can see the torx bolt dead center of the photo. I took that photo underneath the passenger side, looking forward. That is the back of the transmission, and the corner of the transmission pan in the photo was wet with fluid causing me to think it was transmission fluid. But, if it's coming from that bolt, which bolts the extension housing to the transmission, could it be transfer case fluid instead? The fluid is dark, with no hint of red, and it doesn't smell burnt. It drips onto the exhaust pipe and burns up, so the only time I see a leak on the driveway when it when it's been sitting for several days. I wiped everything down to try and catch the first drop of the leak to find it's exact origin. After 24 hours and two trips up to operating temp, I don't see any sign of it, so it's very slow.

If I can't pinpoint the leak, then I'll go into the tranny plug to see if the transmission fluid looks the same as what's leaking. I just thought my symptoms might have been seen by someone on here before. Any ideas?[Broken External Image]:

Jackson,

Reload the pic to your library. Use the pic sizer @ 30 or 40%.

Then the pic wont over fill the page.....

Thanks

Hard to tell from the pic. Sounds like a tranny pan gasket leaking to me. But could be from the transfer case. My ATF was as dark as oil @100k. May want to drain it and change filter and gasket soon anyhow. Put in a drain plug too.

I'd drop the trans pan to change filter and gasket. WIX p/n 58099 (go to wixfilters.com) shows new gasket with this kit that fits 6R60 transmission. I agree with Eddie's advice on fitting a drain plug to your pan. In my opinion there's nothing like frequent trans fluid drain/fill that will give you max life out of your auto transmission. Ford says 150K for trans fluid change on this transmission; I say No Way. Problem is that they've taken away the dipstick tube, making a service fill very difficult; the fill port/dipstick is on the passenger side of transmission, conveniently located next to the catalytic converter. Of course checking the level requires the fluid at normal operating temperature!

Problem is that they've taken away the dipstick tube, making a service fill very difficult; the fill port/dipstick is on the passenger side of transmission, conveniently located next to the catalytic converter. Of course checking the level requires the fluid at normal operating temperature!

So true. When I helped oldtimer change his fluid and filter on his '07. Also added a drainplug. I had leather gloves on. That heat off the cat, still got me. When I checked the level. It took 6qts with a pan drop.

Might be a $$ maker if some one would after market. The trans dipstick tube. That little short dipstick under the filler cap is hard to read.

Thanks everyone. I resized the photo (thank Eddie) so it wouldn't blow up the whole page. I just checked the leak, and after 48 hours, it's still as clean as the photo. So I can't tell where the leak is coming from. I'm going back to daily driving, and I'll check for leaks every day until she gives up her secret. Since I've got two basketball sized stains in the driveway, I assume I'll find the leak at some point.

Thanks for the advice on the transmission pan. I saw that project on the site, and I already bought a drain plug from Advance Auto for the first time I drop the pan. That'll be coming up soon. I had also seen the short dipstick on another website (on F-150s), and I've located it on my truck. It'll be fun getting the truck up to operating temp, putting her up so I get under there (level too), and getting that dipstick out for a level check. I also bought a hand pump that fits a quart bottle from Advance Auto to refill the tranny. I'll post a review when I use it.

It's going to take a whole bunch of pump strokes to put 6 qts in. An easier way may be to get a piece (say 4') of clear poly tubing with correct O.D. from local hardware store. Pass one end down past right side of engine into the fill port; attach a funnel to other end and pour measured amount of fluid. Button 'er up, test drive, check level, Miller Time.

That's a good idea Vic. My brother told me about an electric pump at Harbor Freight made for pumping oils and hydraulic fluids too. I'll test my hand pump out before I commit to using it so I don't have to make a run to the store mid-job.

Don't bother with an electric pump. I've used a $6 drill pump (Northern Tool & elsewhere) for years for transferring gear lubes and ATF with my cordless drill. It has standard hose fittings, so you can make your own hoses for very little money. I use clear poly tubing to monitor the refill. I'll get some pictures up to show how it works.

I'v replied to your other thread on this leak with the TSB... did you follow up on that??

I had the same issue on my '10 and the bulkhead connector was the issue. pinpointing leaks is hard because as you drive the fluid is blown over many other surfaces so the source is not very obvious, but you can clearly see in your pic the leak coming down from the wiring bulkhead connector. tell your dealer the TSB # and have them perform it! the transmission bulkhead connector is the black round wiring plug on the right center of your photo.

Here is the TSB:

Quote:

TSB 11-3-25

03/31/11

6R80 TRANSMISSION BULKHEAD CONNECTOR

SLEEVE LEAKING TRANSMISSION FLUID

FORD:

2009-2010 Expedition, Explorer Sport Trac,

Explorer, F-150

LINCOLN:

2009-2010 Navigator

MERCURY:

2009-2010 Mountaineer

ISSUE

Some 2009-2010 F-150, Expedition, Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer, Mountaineer and Navigator vehicles equipped with a 6R80 transmission may show signs of transmission fluid leakage around the transmission bulkhead connector sleeve.

ACTION

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify the leak is present at the transmission bulkhead connector sleeve. With the vehicle in neutral, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 100-02.

1. Disconnect the transmission vehicle harness connector by twisting the outer shell and pulling back on the connector.

2. Remove the transmission fluid pan and allow the transmission fluid to drain.

3. Pull the release tab and pull down on the transmission bulkhead electrical connector retainer.

4. With the release tab down, pull the connector sleeve out of the case/mechatronic assembly.

5. Lube new connector sleeve 0-rings with clean transmission fluid, then install connector sleeve into case/mechantronic assembly.

6. Press up on the tab and lock the outer shell of the transmission bulkhead electrical connector sleeve in place. Make sure that the locking tab is securely locked.

7. Install the transmission fluid pan/gasket and refill transmission fluid refer to WSM, Section 307-01 for refill procedure.

NOTE DO NOT TOUCH THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR PINS OR THE EXPOSED SOLENOID TABS ON THE TRANSMISSION BULKHEAD ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR. ELECTROSTATIC DISCHARGE MAY OCCUR AND MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM).

NOTE BULKHEAD CONNECTOR SLEEVES MAY COME WITH RED OR BLACK 0-RING SEALS. USE ONLY BULKHEAD CONNECTOR SLEEVE THAT HAS BLACK 0-RING SEAL FOR THIS PROCEDURE.

Parts Block

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

110325A 2009-2010 Explorer, 1.7 Hrs.

Mountaineer, Explorer

Sport Trac, And F-150:

Replace Connector Sleeve

Includes Time To Remove

And Install Transmission

Fluid Pan (Do Not Use

With Any Other Labor

Operations)

110325A 2009-2010 Expedition And 1.8 Hrs.

Navigator: Replace

Connector Sleeve Includes

Time To Remove And

Install Transmission Fluid

Pan (Do Not Use With Any

Other Labor Operations)

DEALER CODING

CONDITION

BASIC PART NO. CODE

7G276 D8

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

I did see that on the first thread. If that's the connector that's showing in my pic above, then it's clean and dry.

I'm starting to see a glisten on the gasket for the pan, so I'm betting that's the leak. At 67K miles, I'm not really due for a transmission fluid change, but I'm going to do it due to the leak.

Jackson,

I used a about 4foot of 1/2" old garden hose on a funnel to fill the '07 trac.

At about 4 1/2 quarts. We had to start the motor. Shift thru the gears. Then we were able to get the rest of the 6quarts in. We measured what we drained.

As I said before I had heavy leather roping gloves. Because you have to check the dip stick, motor running. That cat still got me. Be carefull.

My gasket was rusting and fluid was coming out of it where the rust had built up. Not a believer in Ford's reusable metal tranny pan gaskets. Bought a felpro one from Rock Auto - works great. Also used the hand pump and it worked fine, about 3-5 pumps for each quarts. Quite suprised how well it worked. If that does not stop it you can always try a tracer. I used them for oil leaks but never ATF it does say its safe for tracing ATF fluid leaks.

http://www.amazon.com/Tracer-Products-TP34000601-Fluorescent-Detection/dp/B000JFHNTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357868060&sr=8-1&keywords=tracer+leak+detector

I'v replied to your other thread on this leak with the TSB... did you follow up on that??

I had the same issue on my '10 and the bulkhead connector was the issue. pinpointing leaks is hard because as you drive the fluid is blown over many other surfaces so the source is not very obvious, but you can clearly see in your pic the leak coming down from the wiring bulkhead connector. tell your dealer the TSB # and have them perform it! the transmission bulkhead connector is the black round wiring plug on the right center of your photo.

Here is the TSB:

Quote:

TSB 11-3-25

03/31/11

6R80 TRANSMISSION BULKHEAD CONNECTOR

SLEEVE LEAKING TRANSMISSION FLUID

FORD:

2009-2010 Expedition, Explorer Sport Trac,

Explorer, F-150

LINCOLN:

2009-2010 Navigator

MERCURY:

2009-2010 Mountaineer

ISSUE

Some 2009-2010 F-150, Expedition, Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer, Mountaineer and Navigator vehicles equipped with a 6R80 transmission may show signs of transmission fluid leakage around the transmission bulkhead connector sleeve.

ACTION

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify the leak is present at the transmission bulkhead connector sleeve. With the vehicle in neutral, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 100-02.

1. Disconnect the transmission vehicle harness connector by twisting the outer shell and pulling back on the connector.

2. Remove the transmission fluid pan and allow the transmission fluid to drain.

3. Pull the release tab and pull down on the transmission bulkhead electrical connector retainer.

4. With the release tab down, pull the connector sleeve out of the case/mechatronic assembly.

5. Lube new connector sleeve 0-rings with clean transmission fluid, then install connector sleeve into case/mechantronic assembly.

6. Press up on the tab and lock the outer shell of the transmission bulkhead electrical connector sleeve in place. Make sure that the locking tab is securely locked.

7. Install the transmission fluid pan/gasket and refill transmission fluid refer to WSM, Section 307-01 for refill procedure.

NOTE DO NOT TOUCH THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR PINS OR THE EXPOSED SOLENOID TABS ON THE TRANSMISSION BULKHEAD ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR. ELECTROSTATIC DISCHARGE MAY OCCUR AND MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM).

NOTE BULKHEAD CONNECTOR SLEEVES MAY COME WITH RED OR BLACK 0-RING SEALS. USE ONLY BULKHEAD CONNECTOR SLEEVE THAT HAS BLACK 0-RING SEAL FOR THIS PROCEDURE.

Parts Block

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

110325A 2009-2010 Explorer, 1.7 Hrs.

Mountaineer, Explorer

Sport Trac, And F-150:

Replace Connector Sleeve

Includes Time To Remove

And Install Transmission

Fluid Pan (Do Not Use

With Any Other Labor

Operations)

110325A 2009-2010 Expedition And 1.8 Hrs.

Navigator: Replace

Connector Sleeve Includes

Time To Remove And

Install Transmission Fluid

Pan (Do Not Use With Any

Other Labor Operations)

DEALER CODING

CONDITION

BASIC PART NO. CODE

7G276 D8
Am planning to change TF anyway but will have dealer fix this TSB while also changing fluid if possible. This TSB is 8 yrs old...anyone know if dealer will STILL perform this? Do you know approx. cost of the drain/fill ?Must check first if there are any leaks from the connector. Thanks in advance.

Wade - what kind of hand pump worked well for you? The cheap harbor freight ones are a lot of work. And the drill pump (also HF) I have does not seem to work with cordless drills, needs higher RPMs I think.

USE a composite metal rubber gasket, OEM is best....