leaking coolant

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan F

Reaction score
What do you think is leaking if you notice coolant right around the frame on the pass side close to the evap core and heater core? Im guessing the heater core is leaking since my a/c smells but I have not used the heat at all or defrost.

Turn the heat on, IF you get a film on the inside of the windshield it is the heater core, BUT my guess is a hose or clamp...

ALSO check the upper rad hose it can rub a hole on the transmission dipstick..

Todd Z

drive it up to autozone or someplace similar. As long as it isn't too hot (the engine I mean), most places will pressure test it for free and then you'll know for sure where the leak is.

Hopefully it's not the heater core. If it is then a word of advise: Don't replace it with a new Ford core. They're crap. Having gone through 3 Ford core's in my wife's recently sold Expedition in just 1 year I won't touch Ford parts again. Usually if it's the heater core you can smell it inside the cab.

3 heater cores in 1 year from the Ford Dealer, or even Ford parts!!!

I would have thrown a bloody fit!!!

By the way, anyone know how hard they are to replace on the('05) 'Tracs?:unsure:

tracnblack, the heater core removal is not pretty.

Step 1. Preparation for removal.

1. Remove the A/C evaporator housing (8 step process).:eek:

2. Remove the instrument Panel (24 step process).:eek:

3. Remove the PCM.

Step 2. Remove the PCM heatsink.

1. remove the ground strap screw.

2. Remove the heatsink.

3. Remove the four nuts from the engine side of the dash panel. Position the plenum chamber on the vehicle floor.

4. Remove the heater core cover.

1. Remove the screws.

2. Remove the heater core cover.

5. Remove the heater core.

:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
I swear to my Higher Power that I will bypass that sucker and build a fire in the back seat,

before I go through all that!!!:blink:

And I'll let you all know how that turns out, if I ever need to do so!!!:rolleyes: