Leaking rims

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emory

Reaction score
I have an issue with my rim leaking air. The leak is VERY slow. I had a tire shop that I know and trust look at them to see if they could find the leak. (Actually, I believe BOTH front tires/rims are now leaking). Note that I've been putting air in the two front rims for at least a couple of years. That's how slow they leak down. However, the right front leak became worse recently. The shop found no issues with the tires but said that at least one of the wheels is so corroded that the leak-down is coming from between the bead and rim. They cleaned the rims as best as they could and replaced all stems but said that they doubt that it would have stopped the leak down. It didn't. I put a can of green slime in the worst culprit and hoped that would stop the leak. It slowed but has not stopped. These are the chrome cladded 2008 rims 17". My vehicle spent most of it's life in West Va. where snow and road salt is heavily used. I either have to A) replace the wheels, or B) make some other attempt at stopping the leak(s). Has any of you had this issue happen? It's a first for me. If the wheels are that compromised, maybe I should find replacements. Have any of you found a source for these style wheels? They appear to be pretty damned expensive.

If you cant have it repaired by a welder (has to be aluminum if the rim is aluminum)
Then you're stuck replacing it.

My 02 Grand Am had 3 rims do that over time (262K miles)
I actually just purchased another rim this morning to replace the 3rd leaking rim.
Fix a Flat USED to stop the leak, but it just gets annoying or stops working.

As I understand they have had an issue with older aluminum wheels slowly leaching air for years. GM developed a paint that is supposed to seal the wheel interior, but I have never used it. My tires on both of my cars leach air. On my Lexus with air pressure monitors, the monitors come on about 2 times per year. I just refill the tires and go on. New steel wheels are just too expensive to consider and its only 2 times a year.

I have an issue with my rim leaking air. The leak is VERY slow. I had a tire shop that I know and trust look at them to see if they could find the leak. (Actually, I believe BOTH front tires/rims are now leaking). Note that I've been putting air in the two front rims for at least a couple of years. That's how slow they leak down. However, the right front leak became worse recently. The shop found no issues with the tires but said that at least one of the wheels is so corroded that the leak-down is coming from between the bead and rim. They cleaned the rims as best as they could and replaced all stems but said that they doubt that it would have stopped the leak down. It didn't. I put a can of green slime in the worst culprit and hoped that would stop the leak. It slowed but has not stopped. These are the chrome cladded 2008 rims 17". My vehicle spent most of it's life in West Va. where snow and road salt is heavily used. I either have to A) replace the wheels, or B) make some other attempt at stopping the leak(s). Has any of you had this issue happen? It's a first for me. If the wheels are that compromised, maybe I should find replacements. Have any of you found a source for these style wheels? They appear to be pretty damned expensive.
If they are that corroded any fix you do won't last. I've been a tech for over 25 years and a ST owner since 2002. The bead is where a majority of the corrosion happens, and it's VERY difficult if not impossible to repair. Your best/safest option is to replace them. A good set of 4 aftermarket wheels will usually cost less than 2 OE replacement wheels. Good luck!

I have that problem too.. brand new tires, will lose enough air over 2 weeks to go down to 20-something where they should be 35..
Two different tire shops couldn't fix it. A can of fix-a-flat worked on the last set of tires but the new set is doing the same thing. Very annoying.
Thought at first it was the cheap tires I'm buying but - the wheels are badly corroded on the visible parts so guess the rim is in poor shape too.

---
2004 2wd 145k

I had this problem on a different car. Discount tire used some sort of black rubbery paste. They brushed it onto the tire seat and the rim. It worked never leaked again. Don't worry about the excess that squishes out. It can be peeled off.
Also if you suspect the inner rim is the leak, thru porous aluminum. Clean and de-grease the whole surface. Use a quality poly-urethane spray. several coats.
That is what GM did with one years leaking Corvette rims.

You could find a wheel refinisher in your area and they will make your wheel as good as it better than new. I had my wife’s Volvo wheels redone for $125 each. That was repair, repolish, remount/balance tires. I thought I had to buy aftermarket or junkyard replacements but the shop had some on display that were really damaged that was repaired like new.

In my area. I have noticed that, Discount Tire has started inspecting the rim seat more. I have seen them using a power brush on rim seats. Must have something to do with aluminum corrosion.
I only see steel rims and hub caps on very cheap cars, And police cars.

Latest posts