Learn me about trailer hitches

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topher5150

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I have an 08 ST with a V6. Unfortunately it came with the completely useless bike rack hitch. The plan is it use it for pulling the pop up camper, and a car from one side of town to the other.
I'm going to look for something used so I need to know what years work and do other Mercury or Lincoln's work?

Are you thinking you want a different trailer hitch? It’s a welded in cross member. Been discussed here at length.

I was thinking about getting a junkyard aftermarket if I could find one. That's why I was asking about the different year make and models that would fit.
Then again I could see if one of the guys at work could weld that insert.

The ONLY aftermarket hitch was SPECIFIC to the ST, bolts below the factory hitch, hangs stupid low..... they only sold them in 2007..... i doubt you will fond anything.... OH and even the 4 door Gen 4 explorer doesn't fit.

I have an 08 ST with a V6. Unfortunately it came with the completely useless bike rack hitch. The plan is it use it for pulling the pop up camper, and a car from one side of town to the other.
I'm going to look for something used so I need to know what years work and do other Mercury or Lincoln's work?
I found mine on eBay for $75. Description said damaged, but I couldn't find anything wrong with it. Actually looked brand new.

Even though I do not tow anything, when I bought my 2007 new, I passed on the small receiver hitch for the 2 inch.....just because, if I ever sold it, it would be better for re-sale! I never planned on selling it but as I get older, I'm re-thinking which of the 5 cars I have that I need to keep. It will be hard to sell the Sport trac with only 88,000-ish miles on it. I still have the brand new receiver ball thing that's never been installed......LOL! It is a neat truck.

Last edited:

Latest posts