Learned A Good Lesson

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregory andonian

Reaction score
Almost forgot this one. Transmission shop came to town, had coupons to drum up business...Had the fluid changed and new filter done, for $45. I had put in that Lucas transmission stuff, cuz I was told it would help in the long run. Well, the owner of the shop told me, NEVER to use stuff like that; said it was way too thick, like honey is and would keep the parts in the trans from moving freely. He also told me, to avoid flushing the trans, as it could wear out a gasket in the tans and he recommends the fluid changed once a year. Any comments? Guess I learned a lil more. Oh, asked him about trans coolers, he said he would recommend it, if I do a lot of city driving, THAT I do.

Plus I do believe that your 01 has a built in tranny cooler, I think the fluid gets run through the rad maybe someone can confirm. I know changing the fluid only changes what is in the pan, which is something to the tune of a quarter of the fluid, I know the land cruiser guys drain and refill the pan every oil change. Just a thought.

Mike

I don't have an owners' manual, I bought it used in '07 and the dealership had no manual for me. So Mr. Rugby, would it be a good idea to have a trans flush next year? Thanks.

I have a 01 ST, and there is a factory cooler in front of the rad. Check for leaks on it, the lines like to loosen up on you.

Its personal preference I have an 02 and have had mine flushed twice and don't have any issues. I would say do a flush then don't worry about it for 50,000 miles then do it again. Of course if you are towing, carrying heavy loads, or have a lead foot you might want to get it flushed in shorter intervals.

Edit: thank you FFS

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't worry about it, I had a bit of a lead foot, do long highway drives, did about a week of heavy snow driving and a few heavy loads in the bed, and have oversized tires and I stick pretty close to that interval. Sorry should have been more specific.

My 01 has a factory tranny cooler but it isnt in front of the radiator..it is actually nowhere near my radiator...if you lay on the ground and look under the front of the truck..it is located under the front portion of the engine..

Put it this way, I've been on the site since 2004 and have never heard of one going bad. Todd Z changed his to a better after-market one but I have not heard of one going bad. I would say the life of the vehicle.

Mike

Well mine has been good since it was born..02/00

But I dont know the shelf life of a tranny cooler...I'm gonna go til it starts bleeding I reakon..:D

Wolf, I think your looking at the power steering fluid cooler.

Greg, you can buy an after market trans cooler and install it yourself, for less than $100. AZ, Advance, pepboys, etc.

FYI, never put any additives in a good automatic trans. I have used KW brand additive on an old trans. Just to help slow down minor seal leaks or slipping, until I can get it to a shop.

I don't have an owners' manual, I bought it used in '07 and the dealership had no manual for me.

Download one for free at the link below...

Tom