Leather Seats

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What have you done, to replace/cover the leather seats on your Sport-Trac ? I'm noticing a lot of seams letting loose on the back seat. My hunch is that the previous owner used some kind of seam adhesive, that is now letting go. I can no longer find the factory seat cover from Ford. Plus, I really don't want to pay the outlandish retail price that Ford wanted. Ideas ??

You can take it to an upholstery shop, and they can repair them. That or you can do it if you take your time. They either used adhesives because it was a simple and cheap way to repair them, or they had no choice because there wasn't enough good leather left to sew them.

In 2021 there are absolutely no OEM seat covers for the 1st gen STs; you have to go through a secondary supplier, which will set you back quite a bit for leather. While Ford is no longer making seat covers for the 2nd gens, I noticed several Ford suppliers still had them in inventory, but I imagine those stocks are getting low at this point. Frankly, even if you find OEM stock, it's going to be expensive.

I guess it's a matter of how much you want to spend. But in my opinion, a local auto upholstery shop is probably your best bet.

as evox said a shop, back in the day i took apart lots of ranger seats and they had plastic pieces along bottom that is so easy to remove then hog wire staples, i would find a good shop and remove your covers so they can use the clips and even look at building up padding if needed, usually the side pieces then replace cover and then steam after words to expand old foam and silicone spray to make easier install. its not hard and will save you alot of money. only down fall is you need to do all the seats cause leather is not easy to match faded hides. or get new seat covers.

as evox said a shop, back in the day i took apart lots of ranger seats and they had plastic pieces along bottom that is so easy to remove then hog wire staples, i would find a good shop and remove your covers so they can use the clips and even look at building up padding if needed, usually the side pieces then replace cover and then steam after words to expand old foam and silicone spray to make easier install. its not hard and will save you alot of money. only down fall is you need to do all the seats cause leather is not easy to match faded hides. or get new seat covers.

Exactly.

You can find seat covers that will come up on eBay; for example, I can buy a new driver's bottom on eBay right now, which I'd love to do, but I know I'm too OCD to tolerate mismatched colors. If you're like me, it's an all-or-nothing sort of thing. Either you replace all your seats or your clean up, restore, and repair your existing seat. Otherwise, depending on the color, the match will drive you crazy.

When I bought my 04, it had split seams on drivers side. I bought a total restoration kit from JoAnn Farbics and repaired the seams according to the directions on the box. I was sceptic when I finished because the repair was really shiny and a slightly different color, but now, it looks just like old leather. But, if it fails, I plan on going to my local LKQ and search out the seats on the many explorers, Mountaineers, and navigators they have on the lot. Mine has heated seats, so I would want to make sure the replacement has them too. I am just guessing, that they would fit ok and how many interior colors did Ford make back then. 2-3 at the most, so I would look for gray to match what I have now.

Katskins better than OEM

Attachments

• 20210722_080539.jpg
    20210722_080539.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 116
  • 20210722_080518.jpg
    20210722_080518.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 113
Katskins better than OEM
Did you order those from the website? katzkin.com

I've filled out a Quote form multiple times and they've never emailed me back.

Edit: I called them, and the basic vinyl pattern with leather inserts for my 2005 Sport Trac, one color starts at $1695 installed.

Last edited:
shopsar.com I added some extras to mine.

PayPal Express
Shipping Method:

Free UPS Ground Shipping
Order Details:

CodeItemQtyPriceGrand Total
Katz-AFO142003 - 2005 FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC Katzkin Leather Interior (2 row)
[Accent Option ( 1R / 2R):Two Tone Insert]
[Wrap Color (2 Row):Smoke]
[Accent Color (2 Row):Blue]
[Trim Options (Front & Back):Contrast Double Stitching]
[Color:Red]
[Leather Content - 2R*:(Standard) Front Seats - Faces, Rear Seats - Inserts]
[Degreez Kits:None]
[Heated Seats:None]
[LiquiCell Inserts:None]
[EMB Location 1:None]
[EMB Code 1:Enter Embroidery 1 Code]
[EMB Color 1:Enter Embroidery 1 Color]
[EMB Location 2:None]
[EMB Code 2:Enter Embroidery 2 Code]
[EMB Color 2:Enter Embroidery 2 Color]
[Confirm Vehicle Year:2003]
[Are you replacing Cloth or Leather?:My vehicle has Factory Leather Seats]
[Do front seats contain SRS airbags?:No]
[Are front seats power or manual?:Both fronts are POWER]
[What size are your front seats?:Bucket seats for 2 passengers]
[What size is back seat lean back?:60/40 split]
[What size is back seat cushion?:60/40 split]
[Custom Made Product Acknowledgement:Custom Katzkin Upholstery Kits are final sale]
1$909.00$909.00
DSC-212November Discount1-$10.00-$10.00
Perforationadd perforation - insert1$60.00$60.00
Subtotal:​
$959.00
Tax:​
$0.00
Shipping Cost:​
$0.00
Grand Total:​
$959.00

Wow those katskin seats look better than the ones I picked up at the junk yard from an explorer which are starting to show some age now - looks like a viable option

Katskins….. Really only way.... I have a complete Tan Gen 2 Cloth interior here if any one needs....