LeBra or Covercraft front end mask?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ Frith

Reaction score
I've just taken delivery of my 2007 Sport Trac Limited and I'm considering installing a front end mask (bra) to protect it, especially during the winter.

Both LeBra and Covercraft have a front end mask for this vehicle.

I'm looking for recommendations from the forum as to which manufacturer's product to purchase and why.

Helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!! :)

The only problem that I have seen with most bras on all vehicles is that you have marks on the paint from them. It is impossible to keep fine particles from getting under the material.

An ST member, SeattleSportTrac, I think has available the clear type bra that you put on and it will not get rock chips etc. that get to the paint. If I remember correctly, they are not out of line in price either.

Both of my daughters had the regular type covers on their vehilces, and even though I took them off often and cleaned under them, the paint was all scratched and dulled when they were taken off.

Rod

Thanks Rod for the suggestion about the clear type bra.

I had a 1990 Nissan 300ZX twin turbo that I installed a “genuine” Nissan bra on shortly after I purchased the car new. I made sure that I had put several coats of wax on the front end before I originally installed the bra.

I don't know who manufactured the bra for Nissan but I drove the car through many winters (I kid you not) and I'm sure it saved the front end from many stone and salt chips.

I didn't take the bra off literally for several years (yeah, I know, not the best practice) until a guy came through a red light and we "accidentally" met. There were some scratches on the front bumper/fascia where the bra had ripped due to the accident. I'm sure that there would have been even more scratches if I hadn't had a bra on the car.

With the exception of the scratches from the accident, the original factory paint that the bra had covered was still in excellent condition. There were some fine granules of sand etc. that had collected under the top edges of the bra. I don’t know if the paint survived so well because of the quality of the bra, the original Nissan paint job or a smiling bra god (or ? Goddess).

Therefore, I became a big believer in the benefit of a front end nose mask.

I know that others have experienced the paint problems caused by a front end nose mask that you have described. :(

I just want to prevent the front end of my 2007 Sport Trac from getting sandblasted this winter from the roads, especially since the front bumper is painted to match the body.

Does Ford make a factory bra for the '07?

My Silver Birch '03 has the Ford one and has shown no ill effects. I great coat of wax will do wonders to preserving the paint. Also, it definitely needs to fit tight (no flapping at speed)

Chris

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Most bras, including yours Chris, doesn't even fit 100%. Plus, NO protection for the grill area. And, most do leave scratches. With a clear bra it's on, doesn't collect any debris and you can wax over it. It also protects head lights and fogs. No bra can do that.

Thanks everyone for the continuing helpful input.

I checked at www.fordaccessoriesstore.com but evidently Ford does not make a front end mask for the 2007 Sport Trac or the 2006-07 Explorer.

I do appreciate the merits of the clear bra but I still think I'll go with a front end mask. It will be less expensive overall and I like the idea of a mesh over the grill openings. I can always go to the clear bra in the future.

Based on the expert experience of kcsportrac04, I gather Covercraft is the better product. :)

Latest posts