LED map light bulbs for replacing incandescent bulbs

Help Support SportTrac.org:

NorgeMan

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Greetings,
I bought LED bulbs to replace the factory installed interior bulbs in my 2004 Sport Trac. I had no problem replacing the bulbs in the dome light over the back seat but the map light bulbs are totally different, with the bulb and the housing unit the bulb is in as one whole part that would need to be replaced. Any idea where I could pick up LED replacements for the map light? Thanks!!

Robert Gregory

V6 Engine
Reaction score
I wound up making a holder for the LED lights in the map housing using O rings. Had to rewire the lights since the printed circuit disintegrated when I pulled the bulbs.

NorgeMan

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Thanks for the information! The printed circuit in my map lights is still usable. Were you able to remove the old light bulb from the housing unit?

philipac

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Thanks for the information! The printed circuit in my map lights is still usable. Were you able to remove the old light bulb from the housing unit?
late to the thread but you can remove the old light from the housing but the housing is unusable after unless you're good at soldering, what i did was ordered different wired connectors and hooked them to where that printed circuit is wired to

NorgeMan

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, big time. I'm not the best soldering guy but my brother in law is. What parts do you suggest I need to get before tackling this chore?

EddieS'04

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
I wound up making a holder for the LED lights in the map housing using O rings. Had to rewire the lights since the printed circuit disintegrated when I pulled the bulbs.
Robert do you have a part # for the LED's? I'm going to have to repair my circuit board, for the temp and compass. I might as well do both.

philipac

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, big time. I'm not the best soldering guy but my brother in law is. What parts do you suggest I need to get before tackling this chore?
sorry im mostly online in the mornings but i cant think of anything, but if you're talking about those two rear map lights, there is three screws that come out and you can take the whole housing off and use a plastic stick or carefully use a small screwdriver to take those bulbs out. i dont know if you have the overhead console that came with the sunroof models but im assuming you do. as you already know those twist connectors are wired to the bulb and you can use a small blade or something to sever it off and attach new led lights depending on the type of leds you have. if you need me too i could probably post a vid or pictures to show you what i mean. (kinda bad at explaining stuff)

NorgeMan

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
sorry im mostly online in the mornings but i cant think of anything, but if you're talking about those two rear map lights, there is three screws that come out and you can take the whole housing off and use a plastic stick or carefully use a small screwdriver to take those bulbs out. i dont know if you have the overhead console that came with the sunroof models but im assuming you do. as you already know those twist connectors are wired to the bulb and you can use a small blade or something to sever it off and attach new led lights depending on the type of leds you have. if you need me too i could probably post a vid or pictures to show you what i mean. (kinda bad at explaining stuff)
I was able to replace the rear lights that you're talking about, no problem there. I have an overhead console with driver and front passenger map lights. That's the stickler at the moment. The feedback I'm getting, including yours, has been a great help. I just don't know why Ford made that one different from the rear light. "Let's just reinvent the wheel" was Ford's thinking.

Latest posts