Lift for Overlanding+Vehicle Longevity

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got an 04' 4.0 with 4x4 and I enjoyed overlanding in my 20' Jeep wrangler. I would like to be able to do the same with this truck as I really love the sport trac. I have been looking around but cannot find a good option. I want more clearance for overlanding but I do not want to wear out my U-joints on the front end or mess up my torsion keys.

I am looking for a 2-3" lift and I am leaning towards a suspension lift for practicality. I am leaning away from torsion twists on the front as I have heard I should get a real lift if I do any off-roading. I have heard ford ranger spindle lifts bolt up and are a good fit for the front, but at that point, I would be worried about my CV joints. Is there an option to upgrade those?

There are plenty of lifts for the rear end that I don't think will hurt my vehicle in the long run (correct me if I am wrong).

Overall, I am looking for a suspension lift/ bigger tire combo that will give me some body/frame clearance without making me replace front CV's every 30k miles, or snap will I am going up a hill. I have the ability to fabricate my own parts for the most part. Tig welder, plasma cut services, lathe, but no mill.

I am welcome to any advice at all, even if someone wants to convince me to just body lift.

Good luck to you. I just posted request for info to twist my ST to swamp (4' deep water holes). Got to be someone as crazy as us!

Latest posts