lifter clatter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha guys,

My 2002 has 110K miles, it runs good and doesn't burn oil. However, if I don't drive it every day, when it starts the lifters clatter for a very short moment. I put some Marvel Mystery Oil in and after 200 miles or so the clatter is still there. Should I wait longer? Try another product? What are your thoughts.

Tks and God bless Ed

Thanks guys,

I am using half synthetic and half Dino oil from the dealer. The filter is also from the dealer.

How do I determine if it is lifter or tensioner? Will the Mystery oil help the seals in the tensioner?

Tks Ed

Pop your hood and listen. If it sound like the top of the engine its the lifters. If it sounds like the front its the tensioner.

Here is a cool trick to find out where it is. Get a long screw driver. Have your engine running and lightly place it in different places on the engine. CAREFUL around moving parts. You will feel the vibration and where the clatter is you feel it the the handle. A mechanics Stethoscope does the same thing. But everyone has a screw driver.

Make sure the oil your getting is NOT 5w20... Most dealers don't know the ST uses 5w30 !!!!

There are several tensioners in the st...

1 for the serp belt and 2 on the timing chains.....

Since his noise is just at start up, I would say it is the lifters and oil pressure...

Todd Z

by Todd Z,1/29/2009 05:44 MT

Make sure the oil your getting is NOT 5w20... Most dealers don't know the ST uses 5w30 !!!!

There are several tensioners in the st...

1 for the serp belt and 2 on the timing chains.....

Since his noise is just at start up, I would say it is the lifters and oil pressure...

Todd Z

I have replaced tons of timing chain tensioners for clatter at startup, they make noise for about 5 seconds and then go away

Aloha,

Yea, I stuck my head in there this morning and couldn't tell where the sound is coming from.(64 year old ears) The clatter is only for 1 second at most. Not a real problem, but I am hoping that the Mystery oil will rejuvenate the seals. Maybe a long drive would help. I will be going to Kona soon for a retreat. I will keep you posted! God bless Ed

I'm suspecting that it is timing chain tensioner, which is very common in the earlier Sport Tracs/ It sounds like spark knock or clatter, and is typically heard when the engine is first fired up and is more common below 2000 rpm. It's also common for the sound to diminish very quickly after the engine is started.

Proably nothing you can do about it unless you want to have the chain tensioners replaced which can be a bit expensive since it take about 8 hour of labor and can easily come back within a few thousand miles.

...Rich