Lifter Knock

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudged Undies

Reaction score
So I changed the oil a week and a half ago. I couldn't get my usual royal purple so I picked up some castrol syntec 10w-30 and used that. I don't know if it's due to the oil or just coincidence but the trac seems to have something that sounds like a knocking lifter between 2500 and 3500 rpm. Seems strange that it is only noticeable in this rpm range. Kinda makes me wonder if it could be something else that's loose.

The trac is coming up on 93K miles and it may be a maintenance issue but I believe the lifters are hydraulic and no real adjustments are possible. I have to look around underneath to ensure nothing is loose and causing the knock(esqe) sound. Also going to return the pcm program to stock on the off chance that it's a timing issue, thought the knock goes away while the engine is under load so this is unlikely the cause but need to rule it out. May also be the timing chain rattle which I haven't ruled out. Prior to doing any engine work I'm going to do another oil change and go back to the royal purple on the off chance that the oil is playing a part in this. I doubt it, but it's easier than replace lifters or the chain(s).

Anyone have any ideas. I'm hoping it's something stupid as this is going to drive me nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the timing chain. I used to have the rattle, using 5w30 M1 synthetic, switched to RP 10w30 and it went away.

I've got the same noise. It's been happening since ~40K. It goes away as soon as I do an oil change and comes back after ~1000 miles. Gets worse the closer I get to the next oil change.

Same here...I never really thought about when it gets better or worse but I just recently got an oil change and I haven't really heard anything the last few days.

I agree with Jeff C. I suspect that it's probably timing chain rattle. Since the SOHC V6 uses an overhead cam, it does not have lifters...per say. The sound of the timing chain is similar to the tappet/lifter noise and some say it sounds like spark knock pinging.

...Rich

Thanks to all. I never really considered the timing chain to be an issue but it does make sense, and the sound does appear to come from the rear of the engine. Looks like I'll be changing my oil again this weekend.

As for filters, I've been using k&n but as per my previous post, I haven't been able to get to my performance shop and that's the only place in town (that I know of) that sell RP and the K&N's. I used a bosch this time around with the castrol, and I really doubt the filter is playing a part in this.

I'll have an update on monday (hopefully).

The update: Looks like it timing chain rattle was the culprit. (guess) I changed the oil out this weekend to Royal Purpe 10w-40. Sure enough the knock/rattle is pretty much gone. I guess I never heard it because I've always used RP. Believe it or not the oil does make a difference.

As for the rattle/knock, ugh, what a sound. Hope never to hear that again.

92 thou and change. 10w-40 mainly because they were out of 10w-30 but the heat down here is nasty so a little thicker oil will probably help with the stop-and-go, as well.

Well, looks like I spoke too soon. Though not as pronounced, the knock is back. In doing a little search on the web, it seems this problem has been around prior to our model of the SOHC Worst part about it, our motor has a rear timing chain which I believe is the culprit. To add to that, the engine needs to be pulled (actually dropped I believe) in order to correct the problem.

sigh....

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably the timing chain tensioners. there's one on the front and one on the back. There was a TSB on them, so do some research, and you may get it fixed for free.