Lighting and button question????HELP!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boodrodon Dykes

Reaction score
Ok, so im puting some lights in the cargo bed, and off of the light is a positive and a negative. and I was going to tap into the back power outlet (which has a positive and a negative), but i want to put a switch in the bed so the lights dont stay on. I have a simple rocker switch, that has 2 prongs, is this the right switch? what do i need to get/do for me to get it the way i want it? Thanks in advanced.

Boodro

I know nothing about wiring but I am going to try to do some this weekend:wacko:

All my rockers I got have 3 prongs, in laymans terms there is the "power in", "power out" (to the accessoris), and the ground. Got to Walamar get a rocker toggle (takes up less space) for $3.96.

DO NOT put positive and neg. on a 3 prong switch. Get a meter and check the switch for continuity and switch the neg. Oops...my house wiring coming out

Gary D.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a 12v under cabinet light, a 12v accessory plug, and an in-line lamp switch. Very simple to do and removeable with the toneau cover.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

A two prong switch will work, I always switch the negative side. Just tap into the positive and run that to the light, then run the wire from the lights to the switch, then to the negative.

Allways Switch the negative wire....

Tap 2 wires into the power source ( pos and neg)

Take the positive wire and go directly to what ever your powering...

Take the neg wire from the power and go to one prong on the switch...

Then go from the other prong on the switch to the neg on whatever your powering...

Done...

You have a single throw single pole switch... The 3 prong is either a dual position switch or a lighted switch.. Those stink...

Good luck

Todd Z

Yes the project looks great....there is also a couple of projects for under the hood lights which might work well also for this project. I especially like the automatic one for the lights (uses a pushbutton switch). I am bad about leaving lights on. So WHENEVER I decide and get my bed cover (I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing about it) I will use one of the projects for a cargo bed light. Thanks again everyone!

dave :D