Limited Slip Differential

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Daniels

Reaction score
O.K. This may seem like a dumb question. (But Memphis, there are no dumb questions!....whatever!!!) When I first purchased my ST I got hosed, LONG STORY!!! I originally bought a 4x4, but, like I said, got screwed, so I had to settle with the last ST on the lot which was a 2x4. Telling the dealer that I needed a 4x4 (I live in the country, roads can be bad, plus I tow through mud) He tells me that the ST that I was buying has front limited slip..."Just as good as 4x4", he says,"for what you'll need it for."

Now, I know the difference!!! But, I honestly don't use 4 wheel drive that often and he made since. For the amount of times I've needed it, as long as the front wheels kick in when needed, I'll be fine!

Well, I tried towing my trailer through my driveway and sure enough, GOT STUCK!!!! The front wheels never kicked in!!! My question, as dumb as it may be is... Do the ST's actually have front slip diff.? Or did I let this guy bend me over and....well, you know!!! And, if they do. That means mine is busted, how do I fix it?

Thanx for any help that anyone can give!:blink::blink::blink:

Well if you have a 2 wheel drive ST, your front wheels will never "Kick In", because it is not a 4 wheel drive.

Did you get a kiss before he bent you over?:unsure:

Chad

Last edited by a moderator:
A limited slip differential is only on the rear axle. There is no "front tires kicking in" as there is no linkage to make the front tires turn, you have a 4x2, not a 4x4. Only the rear tires will ever turn. An LSD only allows a certain amount of slip between the tires on the rear axle and has nothing to do with the front axle.

The limited slip is on the rear axl only.

The front wheels can't kick in on a 4x2, as the truck is RWD, so they front wheels have no power. If the back is stuck down in the depths, your front wheels are, sadly, useless.

I have an 02 4x2 Limited Slip.

To play devil advocate. You should know the difference between a 4x4 and 4x2. Or dont buy anything.:unsure:

whoa! Memphis.... Your Trac only is 2 wheel drive... The front wheels will never engage and aid you in the mud/snow/etc. Limited slip is refering to your Rear Wheels. If you have Limited slip it means that if you are in mud etc and one wheel starts to spin the other will engage to aid the slipping with gripping the ground. I dont know what the heck your convo was with the dealership but u were either strayed far far away from the truth... or, not to be harsh, haven't enough automotive knowledge to wisely purchase a vechile.... now u need to determine if you have a limited slip differential... go to the FAQ section of the website and search there. good luck buddy...

Last edited by a moderator:
no comment

Obviously you had a comment or you wouldn't bother posting this.

It seems a lot of people get screwed from dealerships, either being told they can have LSD front end on a 4x2, or getting a class ii hitch replaced with a class iii. The moral of the story, get your own facts from someplace other then the dealership.

My advice for your 4x2, either get a LSD rear end or a locker. I'd go locker, I'm thinking about getting one myself for my 4x2.

I was gonna say, you should complain to that salesman's manager. But I wonder if he/she is just as unethical.

It seems a lot of people get screwed from dealerships, either being told they can have LSD front end on a 4x2, or getting a class ii hitch replaced with a class iii. The moral of the story, get your own facts from someplace other then the dealership.

Hey Ford! Are you paying attention here? Your dealers are a bunch of stupid liars who try to deceive their customers. Wonder why your market share is slipping? Fix your products, but also fix your dealers!

Right now I did some on-line shopping, looking at a Mariner as a possible replacement for my wife's Outback. Three days ago, I filled out the online request for an E-mail for more information and for an online quote. The online form required the submission of your E-mail address (reasonable if they are going to send you an online quote), but it also required a phone number. I put down my cell phone number. Since then, I have 23 calls logged from the Ford dealer trying to contact me, but NO (ZERO) (0) e-mails as promised via the online quote request.

Ford Dealers are just plain stupid.