Limited slip fo a GenII

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Caffyn

Reaction score
It seems, from my digging around, that a LS differential will fit in our 8.8" IRS. The axle shafts are 28 spline. There are 3(28 spline) diffs listed in the Ford Racing parts catalog. I have been told they will all fit. The one that has got me interested is the T-2 Torsen unit(no cones or clutches) and no friction modifiers needed. This is on my list for this winter. BUT, before I pull the trigger on this, anybody got something to the contrary to say? Thanks, Bob

A while ago it was mentioned that a limited-slip from a 2004 Explorer will work. I can't say for sure. The Detroit True Trac applications also allegedly have one but I would double and triple check that before I bought one.

I thought it had been discussed. Ford didnt offer LS on gen2. Reason was interference with traction control system.

Gen 1 tracs are 31 or 32 spline.

I read that it was because Ford didn't think the Trac needed a limited-slip with the traction control. They obviously never tested it on a deep snow-covered road. :angry:

FWIW, Mustang GT's have limited-slip and traction control both.

And with the auto 4wd if you slip the 4wd kicks in......

obviously if you disable or remove then yes the limited slip would be a benifit..

Todd Z

Bob c is right, I installed the T2 and even though with the AWD I don't feel a difference, hanging around the dyno shop with the front shaft out makes it launch like a mustang - it's much beefier and if we get closer to 500 on E85 then I will be glad I did this install.

My issue with the current setup is that in deep snow the TC makes the engine take a powder because all four wheels want to spin and the only way out is to turn it off and then you have open axles front and rear. Until this truck I have never had to rock a 4x4 to get it out of snow. And that wasn't off-road, that was just on the street in front of my parents' house. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts