limited slip (LSD)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with an LSD?

I was contemplating TrueTrac Torsen in the rear only. I am looking primarily for adverse weather performance with some mild off road traction.

However, it seems there is a frame member very close to the rear diff cover plate to support the IFS. How complicated does that make a swap?

FYI, I have an '07 V8 4x4.

Ok,
They are great, you have a few options since its basically the 8.8 Independent suspension same as mustang.
The parts are readily available and nothing special. you can just install a lunch box locker, easy and cheep, or install the Motorsport racing Carbon fiber cobra LSD. ( Ive done a few and doing on my 10 with new higher gears this spring). Now some special tools are needed to change the bearings and seals, its not like the solid axle. ( luckily I have the complete set for the front and rear, its about 100 lbs of different fittings and adaptors)

you MUST remove the whole rear from the truck to do either one, its not a lot of work but a good 3-4 hours in and out, then the rebuild time..
If you search me or look at my media on here I have tons of pics about this.

I don't think you want to re gear, but that requires front and rear.

The other option is since the 4x4 v8 came with 3:55 ( every junk yard has thousands low miles) you could get one for probably $100 and re build that one and then just swap and be done.

Im also replacing the axles, seals, bearings and any thing else I take apart. ( i'm psycho like that)

Just for clarity, the IRS requires some special tools, but the internal gear sets are the same as a solid axle diff?

Or does the IRS require a different part set for gears from the solid axle?

First statement is correct..... Just make sure gears and internals say for IRS as well....