limited slip

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad K

Reaction score
Purchased a 2003 ST about a week ago.

Just found out some st's came with limited slip. How do I find out if mine has it. Other than spinning the wheels.:D

Look on the sticker that is located towards the bottom on your drivers door. You will find a AXL code. This code will tell you the axle ratio and differential type in your st.

46 — 3.73 non-limited slip

42 — 4.10 non-limited slip

D4 — 3.73 limited slip

D2 — 4.10 limited slip

(stole that from the faq, it's kinda mislabeled there)

I was glad to find that I have D2 on my door, for the manlier ratio with limited slip ;)

(makes a lot of difference for my trac and I)

EDIT: lol--fast eddie beat me out. Lives up to the name ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
On the plus side, you did get the higher gear ratio.

Without the limited slip, if you ever wanted to put one of those aftermarket lockers in, you would have an easier time as the directions that I've seen for them say that if you have a limited slip, you have to swap it out for the open differential (non ls) before installation :(

Do you also have 4wd?

I've got the 4.10's with open differential ... until I put in a lunchbox locker last year. Bill Barber helped me last year (he has a PowerTrax, but I went with an AussieLocker ... pretty much identical, different company and price). Must say that I am glad that I did have an open diff and did the locker install !! (had an '01 with limited slip .... prefer the locker !)

http://www.powertrax.com/powertrax/noslip.html

Math-you,,Why do you prefer the locker over LS? Do you off road or mostly street drive?

Iam trying to decide which way to go for the street.

I did a little research on the powertrax and came up with some more questions.

Which one of these fit?

8" 28 spline open carrier

8.8" 28 spline open carrier 3/4 shaft

8.8" 28 spline trac loc carrier 3/4 shaft

8.8" 31 spline open carrier 3/4 shaft

8.8" 31 spline open carrier 7/8 shaft

8.8" 31 spline trac loc carrier 3/4 shaft

8.8" 31 spline trac loc carrier 7/8 shaft

9" 28 spline open carrier

9" 31 spline open carrier

9" 35 spline open carrier

Thanks for your help

The Trac has the 31 Spline 8.8".

Since you have a 42 code, that tells me you have a 8.8" 31 spline open carrier. As for the shaft diameter, I do not know. I have had the rear differential apart, but never thought to measure the shaft.

Tom

Chad - the Aussie link I put up above is the one for the Gen1 Tracs (rear diff), but don't recall the shaft diameter for sure (believe it is 7/8) ...

As for why I prefer the locker - TRACTION, plain & simple. The '01 I had with the LSD, it was a little too easy to break traction. The open carrier was worse, but now with the locker ... well, put it this way ... the pic I have as the Snow Trac ...

[Broken External Image]:

... made it up a steep hill with 10 inches of snow on a road that had not been touched by road crews (with several vehicles stuck at the bottom :lol: ) ... without loosing traction even once, and at about 25-30 mph !!! I was so impressed that I would even recommend getting a Trac with an open diff just so you can put a locker in it !! WORTH EVERY PENNY !! If you have 2WD, I would not hesitate a moment to get it, regardless of where you live/drive.

I drive mostly on road, but have a job that i have to get to regardless of the weather ... but I love the feeling that I can go anywhere I need to, on or off road ...

I'd love to get it, but I have the limited slip.

Today I drove some flooded roads and windy rural roads at over twice the wussy "rated curve speed", and it was more of a Sport Boat than a Sport Trac....but it was all fun, though if I had superior traction, I wouldn't have this problem, though replacing the LS with an open and then putting in the locker vastly exceeds my financial situation, time, and mechanical comfort level.

I guess I'll just have to get comfortable with the sliding, though that's hard when the sliding st takes up the whole road :(

With a winch, the 2wd 02 st can go anywhere...just add a cable to that snow picture and that's me lol.

Latest posts