line-x or rhino lining?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever this question is asked, D Mac, it is met with the same replies...."Why would you want to do that?"

The #1 reason for such products are to keep a bed free from unsightly scratches and chips that would rust. They themselves put a rubber-like material that in itself isn't impervious to scratches.

So, you would be covering a composite plastic material that can scratch, but that will never rust or really become unsightly with a more rubber-like version of the same that also can scratch, but never rusts or becomes that unsightly.

Why would you do that?

TJR

No offense but what would be the purpose? It's a composite bed. Now the rubber bed mat is definitely a necessity.

Gotta agree with TJR and TomT. Except for the possibility of the bed mat, I can't see why anyone would put a liner in the bed.

You can't remove the plastic bed liner.

It's not a liner...it's the whole bed.

And the composite bed can take a beating.

If you don't want stuff to move, get the bed matt.

P.S. Seems like maybe the #1 reason you want this is "spray-on liner envy". If you admit to yourself that's the biggest reason and put it on for that reason only, well then, I won't talk you out of it. But it's kinda like a padded bra for Dolly Pardon....not really needed.

TJR Out

Last edited by a moderator:
D Mac, Since the ST's whole bed is made of a composite material, the only you really need is the Rubber Bed Mat w/ SportTrac lettering for around $35. Or if you want to make it softer you can put in carpeting (see if OEM is available), then put the Rubber Bed Mat on top.

Rubber Bed Mat:

1. nothing moves

2. nothing breaks (?), depending on your driving

3. can take a beating

If I'm not mistaken, I recall a previous discussion on this topic here where someone said the the spray on bed liners won't adhere to our composite beds anyway.

Train is correct, none of the companies will spray the bed and warranty it..

There was a member that did his cladding with something, I think it was the do it your self stuff from pep boys..

Todd Z

I agree it would be a waste of money on a Sport Trac. But if you ever wanted to use it on a metal bed I would highly recommend Line-X. I had it on my last Ranger and that stuff is amazing. It would take some major effort to put a scratch in it. I hauled several engines including a 428 SCJ for my Mustang and they never left any marks. I left my metal Craftsman tool box lying on the open tailgate once and it didn't slide off even over a railroad crossing. I hauled several deer and other wild game back there and the blood stains washed right off. :D

[Broken External Image]:

I had my hitch sprayed with Line-X prior to installing it. It cost me about $65, and it looks as good today as the day it was sprayed.

just thought id throw this out there, but has any1 thought of just using this stuff to paint the whole exterior of the truck? and maybe some interior pieces, course undercoating and whatever else u can find to put it on..... i know i wanna use it to the whole exterior, once i shave all 5 door handles and suicide the rear doors.

seen something sorta like it in kits on ebay, like u can get 6 gallons with a spray gun and all other materials needed for like 189 buckaroos

shvdnlayd,

Hot rodders use this now to coat the under side of the hot rods to protect the metal fenders and running boards....

I am sure there is 1 complete exterior car/truck running around out there...

Todd Z

The only reason to use Line-X or Rhino-Liner on a Sport-Trac's composite bed would be if you want to change the color to something other than black.

...Rich

just thought id throw this out there, but has any1 thought of just using this stuff to paint the whole exterior of the truck? and maybe some interior pieces, course undercoating and whatever else u can find to put it on..... i know i wanna use it to the whole exterior, once i shave all 5 door handles and suicide the rear doors.

Here are some pictures of vehicles with the entire exterior sprayed with Line-X:

2fd12cf5b799af67d7870ab225fd6018.jpg

9055705271f884cb55e693987830a4e4.jpg

4a16cc513d54d48b49a3b37fcb9265be.jpg

Latest posts