Little Help?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom buczkowski

Reaction score
I have a 01 ST 4x4 with 110k on it. There seems to be a problem in the rear end. When the Trac is driven enough to get warm there is a "scrub" noise and feel coming from the rear only if you come to a stop and are turning.It only does it one time when you first start to turn,it does not continue thru the entire turn.I have never pulled a trailer or even driven on a dirt road since it was new.The rear brakes were redone with new hardware and the diff fluid was changed at 100k and is full,the "scrub is still there. I have felt around and nothing seems hot or smells like it cooked. Anyone have anything similar to this happen? Thanks in Advance! Tom

Tom,

Did the rear get 100% synthetic the 140 weight and the FORD friction modifier to the fluid ?? I don't care if the added aftermarket fluid or additives, the FORD stuff is the only one I have seen work properly...

Also IT could be the play in the C Clips in the rear that hold on the axles...

They can allow the axle to move in or out a little and the drum might be rubbing the axle seal or the backing plate the wrong way...

There was also a TSB for the early ST's where the rear would make noises due to something with the rear axle seals.

I almost bet it is the fluid modifier in the fluid, or some sort of axle movement..

Todd Z