live wires and screamin demon coil help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholas DeMarco 2

Reaction score
I've had the coil and live wires in for 3 yrs 70k miles and the ce light came on for the coil. It was bogging bad Checked it out and the live wires have white burn marks all over them. Changed the wires first with new stock set still did it reinstalled the stock coil fixed it. On wires 1&2 there's a 6" white burn mark where they touch eachother. Is there any other perf wire sets I don't want to burn my out my coil again

You gain nothing by putting performance wires on other than a lighter wallet, also the burning on the plug wires more than likely had nothing to do with the coil burning out.

Agree with L1.... The white is from them rubbing together, This happens EVERY time wires rub. As for the coil, unfortunatly there has been a rash of SD coils going bad....

Todd Z

I replaced my OEM coil pack four years ago with one from Accel #140035, $85. I've had no issues and it still works fine. I use Taylor spark plug wires. :driving:

My SD coil crashed, less than a year. #3 position burnt out. No warranty bought it used. Put my OEM back on. Runs just as good.

As far as wires I shop $$ wise for name brand spiral core wires. Taylor probably has the best price.

Pep-boys use to have borg-warner spiral core. It was their OEM upgrade. The price very good.

You can get a hotter spark with your OEM coil. With spiral core wires. Reason is spiral core resistance is 100ohms per foot. Oem Filament wires are 4000ohms per foot, more resistance. OEM coil, spiral core wires and OEM plugs is all you need on stock motors.

Latest posts