Locking Gas Cap ? Where ? Who ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, fellow Sport Trac folks,

I have a late year 2004 model Trac. I have been looking for a locking gas cap for it.

My gas cap is not the conventional threaded screw in style. Mine is a quarter turn style.

I have checked my local parts stores and even the dealership & every one tells me

that they have no listing for a locking cap that will fit.

Does anyone know where to go or who to contact for a gas cap for my Trac?

I do know that it would not be easy for someone to siphon gas out of my truck

due to the anti siphon safeguards that Ford has built into the fuel fill neck.

But I would like to have one more anti theft device.

Thanks for reading my posting & any response would be greatly appreciated

JAB

I got mine from Rusty at Spartan Lincoln Mercury. I am not sure what the part number is, but here is a quick link. I think I paid $20.00 for mine about 2-3 years ago. Just click on Specials on the left hand side and you should find it in there.

Good luck,

Tommy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi JAB,

I guess we were thinking on the same lines. I just posted the same question. Like you I would love to get a solution to this oversight by Ford.

PJ

I believe Ford discontinued the locking gas caps. At least that was the word going around about 2-3 years ago.

...Rich

I bought one for mine in 2002. They are still available. Here you go...

Locking Gas Cap. Cap attaches to the vehicle with a plastic tether to prevent loss. Swing away cover helps keep moisture and debris out of locking mechanism. Includes two keys.

Fits Model: Explorer Sport Trac

Fits Model Year(s): 2001 - Current

List Price: $48.76

https://fordparts.com/images/XU5Z9030HA.jpg

I bought mine from Rusty about a year ago. The price is $41.52 including shipping and that is probably the best price you will find. Below is the link and it is the 17th item down. If I didn't already have one I would definitely buy one now.

George

[Broken External Image]:

Just posted this on the post above for PJ...

I have one and it is not hard to install. You simply pry off the plastic ring on the OEM one, and slip the new one on. The locking gas cap is a single unit in itself. I believe you can get them for about $10-$15 at Walmart, and I believe a genuine Ford one is about $35-$40. Hope this helps!

But yes, I have one and it may just be a mental thing, but I feel a little better knowing that it will at least take someone an effort to get to my gas. By that time, hopefully he would realize that the alarm is going off.

DB

Latest posts