locking gas caps

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Mills

Reaction score
Local Target discontinuing locking gas caps (Fram RG-502) . On clearance for $3.24. Don't know if other Targets are doing this also. Picked up two. One for each vehicle.:)

Good price but don't be surprised if you get a cap or engine light. The cheap ones don't seem to seal as well as OEM's.

Yea, I just threw away my 1 year old locking cap because i kept getting emissions related CEL's. tried a new non locking cap and its been fine for months...

Locking caps are unnecessary for newer vehicles since you are unable to send a hose to the tank due to a baffle.

And if a locking cap is in place, a screwdriver through the tank works wonders!

I'd rather lose a few $'s in gas than be out the cost of a new fuel tank...

Locking gas caps...what a joke...you can grab them with a pair of channel locks, squeeze, twist and they come right off with no damage whatsoever...all they do is keep honest people honest adn turn the check engine light on

Now the new Ford "capless" CAPS would be cool. I've yet to find one to fit a 1st gen ST though.

Last edited by a moderator:
After Katrina I was able to siphon gas from 2004 Saturn Vue for generator. We have had problem with teens siphoning gas in neighborhood. Thought it might help. All any lock does is keep honest people honest. If a thief want to break into your house or car do you think locked doors and windows will keep him out? If he wants something bad enough he will break a window or bust down the door.

Have a FORD OEM locking cap on both my ST's... My 03 since day 1 brand new and my 04 for about 2 years now...

No CEL no problems.... I am not worried about theft of gas, but people stealing the gas caps is common and kids putting stuff down into the tank..

I would spend the right $$ and get the FORD cap....

Todd Z

DaveS said:

Now the new Ford "capless" CAPS would be cool. I've yet to find one to fit a 1st gen ST though.

Dave,

Here you go. I've had one of these on my '04 STA for almost a year now with no problems. The part number for Gen 1 ST's is 41004.

[Broken External Image]:

Anything that deturs a crook for $3.99 is worth the money. Perhaps the guy who wants to siphon your gas did not bring a set of channel locks, or the smaller tubing, or did not have something to puncture the gas tank with, or did not want to make a lot of noise??? He will just move down the line to another vehicle. There are plenty of vehicles that will present much easier targets.

I think the number of people who have had the locking gas caps wrenched off, or their tanks punctured to get at the gas are highly over exaggerated, and anyone that would do that for a few dollars worth of gas is sick and unpredictable anyway.

As for locking gas caps keeping honest people honest??? What??? If they are looking to steal gas, they are not honest people, they are just crooks looking for easier targets. Most crooks are looking for targets of opportunity.

...Rich

Richard L makes several great points. People that poo-poo stuff are beginning to be a pet peeve of mine.

When it comes to security, safety, etc, people come out of the woodwork to tell you how you are wasting your money/time.

Well, for me, such investments are like the old joke about outrunning the bear, the punchline being: "I don't have to outrun the bear; I only have to outrun you!" Said another way, it's not about be completely non-vulnerable....just less vulnerable than the next guy.

TJR

Thanks TT. I've seen that on RockAutos site and considered it but wanted to stick with an OEM cap. That's what I haven't found. But with your experience, I'll have to try that one out.

I hear ya TJR and understand the behind rationale behind your opinion. Based on my experiences though, my opinion doesn't agree with yours.

Even though all the vehicles I own have door locks, I haven't used them for the past ~10 years. When I was locking my vehicles; I had (3) windows smashed out in (3) different vehicles and stereo equip stolen, (2) doorlock cylinders pried out with something in (2) different vehicles with stereo equip & personal belongings stolen and the driver door jamb pried open to get at the guage cluster & steering wheel on my 69 ElCamino. All while living in an "upper class" neighborhood.

After that, I have left my doors unlocked in belief that if someone wants in, so be it but, I hope not to have additional damage done trying to gain entry. Hence my comment about the locking cap.

Guess what? Not ONE time since leaving my vehicles unlocked, have I had any breakin attempts that I'm aware of!!!:blink: Go figure...

Neither one of us are correct IMO... To each his/her own...

Dave S.

Why don't \you just leave your keys in the car to save the crook the time and energy of pulling out the lock cylinder, etc. While you are at it, why not jack up the car, take the wheels and tires off and lean them against the side of the car. That way the crook who wants your wheels and tires can just roll them away and you don't have to worry about them messing up your lug bolts, etc.

The point is that you should not just roll over and make it easy for the crooks....That's just dumb. I would continue to make it harder. I have insurance to pay for the damage and stuff they steal, but I would invest in a security cameras to constantly watch the car, and it might be smart to park that kind of vehicle in a garage which adds another layer of security.

If you make it harder, eventually the crooks will screw up and get caught and then those things might end.

I just can't agree that leaving vehicles and posessions unsecured to avoid damage is very smart. What happens if you leave your vehicle unlocked, and the crooks decide to cut up the interior, break windows, slash your tires, or set your car on fire? They are not obligated to avoid damaging your car because you willing to leave it unsecured !!!!

...Rich

OK Rich...I'm dumb, You found me out!

I guess you haven't realized that people have different opinions based on different experiences, nor have you learned to respect others opinions!!!