Long time member returning for some help!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee R

Reaction score
Hi guys! Wow, it's been alooooong time since I sold my Sport Trac and left this forum. I hope all has gone well here!

Any-hoo, I was hoping that I could return for some help from you guys!

I'm looking at buying a 2002 Sport Trac. According to the seller, the timing chain has broken and he thinks it might need new valves. Now I havne't had a chance to talk to him yet, but if this is the case, do you think that it would be a hard fix? Would it be better to go with a remanufactured head instead of rebuilding this one?

By the way, the Sport Trac appears to be in good shape and no other problems before this occurred. I does have just over 100,000 miles though, BUT he is only selling it for $800.

You guys think it would be worth fixing up at all? Any help would be great! Thanks!!!

Most likely, the engine wil need to be pulled to replace the chain.

Unless you can get it at scrap steel prices, walk away from it.

Tom

If the valves hit the pistons, you may have pistons to replace as well as bent or broken valves. Bent valves can also damage the valve guides as well.

It would probably be cheaper to just do an engine swap with the engine out of another Sport Trac.

Depending upon the miles on the Sport Trac, you might want to check with a Ford Dealer since some of the early Sport Tracs were given extended warranties on the valve train because of the timeing chain tensioner problems in the early models. I got a letter from Ford on my 2001 Sport Trac that extended the warranty on the Valve train and all related parts for 60K miles. If that Sport Trac has more than 60K miles, then that would not apply, but it never hurts to check.

...Rich

How much for a new rebuilt engine? If the body's in great shape then it might be worth it.

I haven't had one out myself, but from what I've read on this site, the problems are as follows:

One: There are two timing chains - one for each head. That doesn't sound like much of a problem until you find out that one is in the front of the engine and one is in the back. That means pulling the engine to replace the back timing chain.

Two: The timing chains have to be set with special tools. You can't just line up the marks!

Three: if one of the chains is broken, there's probably been piston to valve contact. That means an engine rebuild is now necessary to replace the bent/broken valves/pistons/rods.

Putting another engine in is probably the best bet.

I agree with a engine swap. At 100K and not knowing the complete internals condition. If the body and interior and suspension is good. You could probably put it on the road for $5K, $800 included. I would find out about the suspension. Ball joints, tie rods and all. Has he done any of that. If you dont do your own work You might wind up spending as much as it is worth. With gas prices and the market down. You might find a good running one cheaper. Or more worth the hassle.

It is almost IMPOSABLE to remove the 4.0 heads in the truck.... You have to pull the motor any way......

Find a running LOW mileage motor and do the swap.... Easiest and cheapest..

Also with not being able to drive it, the tranny may have issues too, but thats the chance you take...

Welcome back to the site,m and keep us posted as to Whatcha do..

Todd Z

For $800... I'd snatch it up. If you don't want it and it's close enough to Wisconsin, I'll slap a used motor in it and have on the auction block in a a week.

You should be able to put a running lower miles motor in there and have less than 3,000 invested in the truck (stateside) in Hawaii you're probably looking 20% higher.

Welcome back and good luck with that one.

I edited it after I saw the profile and that Lee is in Hawaii.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for taking so long to reply guys, I can't log back into my damn account here! I had to create a new one....

Anywayz, this donkey decideds to change the price from $800 to $1800. So I sadi forget it. It was a deal on craigslist. He posted it @ 10pm one night, I got in touch with him and we were going to work out the details of when/where I'd buy it in the morning.

When I woke up and looked at the add, the price was changed, when i tried to call him, I couldn't get in touch with him, so whatever...

Thank you for the help though, I've gone through so many cars the past few years and so many different forums but I gotto say, this was by far my favorite. Were talking like 8-9 different cars and 4-5 different forums!

Latest posts