Looked at the 2007 today... not gonna do it.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerry Matthews

Reaction score
I got a call today from my local Ford dealer (Downtown Ford) saying that they had a new '07 on the lot if I wanted to come down and look at it. It was a V-8 model with 4wd. I did, and I won't be buying one. The interior changes alone were enough to make me look elsewhere, like an F-250 for my next rig. I really don't like the chrome grille, (uglier in person) the removal of the behind the rear seat storage compartment, which leaves a large gap between the seats and back wall of the cab and also makes one go under the tonneau cover for the things that used to be stored in there, or the new center console with the shift lever where the recessed area used to be for throwing 'stuff' into, including the cell phone holder. I guess I'll just put a new tranny in mine and drive it for a couple more years. The gap in the rear seat alone would cause me to look elsewhere. Every time I took a turn, one of my dogs would be falling into that hole, and the vet bills would be incredible!

Last edited by a moderator:
lol. I went and looked at one too, it was locked so I couldn't see the inside, but I just wasn't really impressed with the exterior after seeing it in person. It just seemed really small to me. The chrome grille could be delt with relatively easily, but some things, like the roof racks and step bars, just didn't seem to flow with anything else. Oh well, not like I could afford to get one now anyways, but I don't think I'll be buying a Gen2 ST in the future.

I can't afford one right now either, I just finished paying this one off!!! But I know I'll be needing a new rig in the next 2 years, and I'm keeping my eyes open for what's out there. A new ST won't be in the picture now, unless they make some changes to the interior and get rid of that UGLY chrome grille!

I looked at one too.... Why can't they make the V-8 flexfuel? That is the big reason why I won't buy one... Also, it didn't look like they had the "power beer can" window? Did they get rid of that?

-Bubba

I love my 04, but I took a look at the 07 and liked several things about it. Any time there is change there will be things we do not like. I liked the feel of the inside, had more of a sport u feel and less truck. I agree that I would miss the spot to put my Ipod and cell, but there are other ways to deal with those. And there is no way I would buy one with out the power rear window. It should be an option soon.

I did like the space behind the rear seat. See I had to remove the storage plastic, in order to install my Subs and Amp.

I also liked the side hooks on the bed, less likely to catch my shirt on.

Not needed a full size truck that would eat up my garage space, I would have to say if I was in the market for a new truck. The 07 Sport Trac is still the best choice out there.

I think it looks sweet and as soon as I need to get a new truck (maybe late 07 ish) I will definately give it major consideration, by then it will have the rear window among other things Im sure. Can't wait.

By the way, I love the chrome grill, so na na na boo boo....:p

Jeff, since when did roof racks stop you? :D

I like it, except for the IRS which makes it harder to drop, although, I've been looking into other suspension mods to do to it, like 1.6in drop coils in the back, with a shorter set up front to give it a Lightning stance.

The grille can be fixed pretty easily with some prep and paint, and I think it would look pretty sweet.

The roof racks don't flow, but I would toss them anyways, along with the tiedowns

I like the center shifter. I have one in my ST now, but with that one, I'd still have front cupholders.

I plan on testdriving one on my way to Louisville in June while I'm in the States, but I already know I'm not going to trade anytime soon.

I LIKE IT A LOT!:wub:I know the grille stands out a lot, but I look at it as an addition to having chrome wheels and will go good with a set of them, JMO! I find it a huge improvement over the first gen ST's, and it is a much safer vehicle, hands down! I like it in the Limited, and from my figures, it is a better vehicle pricewise and in comparison to my 01, is about $2,500 more with a lot more options, including a moonroof, SIRIUS radio, a V8, cargo space, interior space, 18" wheels, RSC, SCAB, and a host of other things. AAMOF, with the options for my 01, and compare them to the options that I want on the 07 ST, it came out that I spent just over $5,000 for those on the 01, and will spend about $4,000 on the 07, so it comes out roughly a little more overall. I am however waiting for the PDBL to come out beforew I do it next March. ;)

I didn't want a full sized rig either, that's why I bought the ST in the first place. But I don't like a lot of things in the new model, so I guess I'll be going back to a full sized rig when the time comes. The IRS is just another reason why I won't buy a new one. I didn't care for the pronounced wheel well 'flares' either. BTW, price isn't a determining factor. Sad, but sometimes change isn't so good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Krash,

I could not agree more. The reason I got my Trac because it had the fuction of a truck, but it wasn't a truck.

I guess I might end up getting an F-150. I really don't want something that big, but Ford leaves me no choice.

Tom

Krash, I'm thinking I will have to build my own storage solution for that behind the rear seat gap. My dog is gonna have a problem there, too.

I really like the new interior. I could take or leave the chrome grill. It works, but it seems a bit over the top.

Krash,

I agree that the 07 Sport Trac grille with all that chrome is not my favorite part. But, most people are very pleased with the updated interior. I have seen a number of photos of the new interior and feel that it a very nice change. I may feel differently when I actually see one and get to sit in it, but for now It works for me.

...Rich

I have to say the grill did not do much for me. But, once I saw it in person it's not that bad. Kind of actually like it now. But I would like to see something along the lines of the new Expedition. The gap behind the rear seat was odd, but at least the space could be used for things when the seats are up. Have to put something in there for the pups though. As for the truck utility, I like the fact that the bed is a bit larger, especially that it is deeper with the T-cover on, has larger brakes, beefier frame and certainly more HP and Torque. Is the IRS a weakness? I don't know the answer to that. Have to ask the engineers. IRS can be built to be stronger than our ST solid axle, or it can be built like a minivan suspension. I don't where in there it stands. Overall, the new ST can haul as much and tow more. The IRS is unquestionably better for everyday driving. Either way, you have to view it as an entire package of suspension, frame, engine and brakes and 3 of the 4 are definitely better on the '07. I still can't fit an F150 in my garage, so that's not an option for me.