Looking for tire recommendations

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry Suarez

Reaction score
Time for new tires. Going w/ 275/ 55 R20 Thinking about Eagle Sport All-Season or Michelin LTX M/S2...or let me know your opinion. I like to haul ass and I tow a 23ft boat. No off-roading or snow (Miami). Thanks guys.

I am happy with the Goodyear Fortera..... Cheep and good traction..... Michelins are good too...

I keep buying the Cooper Discover HT/Plus. Good traction and quiet ride. They are only rated for 45K miles. I suppose they are soft rubber.
I have to order them now, from discount tire. They started stocking there own Coopers. The discover HTP. They are rated at 65K miles. I made discount take them off and order the HT/Plus. The HTP's road hard and cornered like crap. I dont mind the less millage for the ride and traction comfort.
Past years I have heard members ,liking the Michelin LTX M/S2

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/nitto-nt420s/p/40264

5a755222bc46a4d1969446a8a20db91f.jpg

Had these for a few years. they look aggressive and at 265 are a bit wider than stock.

Time for new tires. Going w/ 275/ 55 R20 Thinking about Eagle Sport All-Season or Michelin LTX M/S2...or let me know your opinion. I like to haul ass and I tow a 23ft boat. No off-roading or snow (Miami). Thanks guys.
The truck factory tires are Goodyear Fortera tires . They ride good and I am very satisfied with them .I replace my tires with these .

We bought our 2008 Limited Sport Track, 2 weeks ago. It had a brand new set of COOPER Discoverer SRX tires on it.

I've run Coopers for many years. Liked them fine. HOWEVER a set of Michelin Defenders is what was on the used 2015 F-150 that I bought, and I believe if I were you, I'd go for a set of Michelin's. Just my $0.02

(I know the Michelin's are more money, but ......................)

We bought our 2008 Limited Sport Track, 2 weeks ago. It had a brand new set of COOPER Discoverer SRX tires on it.

I've run Coopers for many years. Liked them fine. HOWEVER a set of Michelin Defenders is what was on the used 2015 F-150 that I bought, and I believe if I were you, I'd go for a set of Michelin's. Just my $0.02

(I know the Michelin's are more money, but ......................)
Here's what Eric the car guy says . Buy the tires that came with the vehicle when it was new for the best possible ride. This is what I did with my 2007 S.T. They happen to be 17 inch Good Year Fortera and I am happy with these tires .

I switched my gen1 wheels to 18". I have been running the Cooper Discover HT PLus. 265/60-18
They ride excelent, traction excelent, looks good, Quite on the road, they are XL rated. I drive hard so I cant give a milage statement, my 2cnd set. But they handle very good on my gen1 Trac. I had order thru dicount tire for about $150 per tire. Discount has their own cooper HT, they suck, and cost more. I made them take them off and order these.
tire.JPG

Unfortunately, I don't know what "brand" of tire came on ours. Just have the tire size. Eric the car guy may well be right, if he's talking brand/size.

I've NEVER had any luck with Good-For-A-Year tires on anything I've ever owned for example.

Like I stated, this vehicle came to me with COOPER tires, which I have ran Coopers for years. However, the Cooper AT3's that I had on my truck were noisy, and did NOT wear very well. So, I'm hesitant to buy any more Coopers.

I have 255/50r20 Michelin Premier LTX on mine. I opted for these because they're supposed to be better in rain than the LTX M/S, as they aren't meant to perform in snow. I have separate snow tires.

I've had them on since April and so far they seem great. Full traction even in the rain. The treadwear is a little less than LTX M/S at 60k vs 70k, but I'm okay with that.

Highly recommended from me. When I had the 16s I always went with the LTX M/S, they are good tires as well. I think either would be a great choice

Black a new set of 265-50-20 continental tires. Love them !!!

One thing I have learned about tires. The lower the milage rating, the softer the rubber. For my driving style (sport).
I dont have to worrry about friction hardness. As to where the rubber gets harder as the tread gets lower.
All tires do get friction hardness with age. From hot pavement and driving styles. Friction hardness affects traction.

Since I do some light four-wheeling with my ST I really liked the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires I had on my 17" wheel Gen 1 for their quietness on various kinds of pavement, their handling on wet roads, serious grip in snow and their toughness for back roads.

When I bought my used Gen 2 the dealer had put on a new set of General Altimax RT43 tires which I came to hate because certain types of concrete on the Interstates caused them to sing loudly - to the point where it drove me nuts on road trips.

So when they were finally worn out enough for me to justify looking for new tires I found out that Goodyear did not make Silent Armor tires in the size I needed - P235/65/R18. I wasn't in the mood to muck things up with a wheel change so I searched for the best all-purpose tire I could find for the variety of driving I do.

I ended up with the Michelin Defender LTX tires. Expensive but worth every penny as the handling is superb, especially on the many mountain roads I drive here in Colorado. They are quiet and have good traction in snow. I don't take roads as rough as I did with my Gen 1 and the Silent Armor tires but I still do drive back roads.

I switched my gen1 wheels to 18". I have been running the Cooper Discover HT PLus. 265/60-18
They ride excelent, traction excelent, looks good, Quite on the road, they are XL rated. I drive hard so I cant give a milage statement, my 2cnd set. But they handle very good on my gen1 Trac. I had order thru dicount tire for about $150 per tire. Discount has their own cooper HT, they suck, and cost more. I made them take them off and order these.
View attachment 946
I took Eddies recomdation a few years back and definately love the tires for my Gen 2.