Looking to buy 2007 advice

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Partridge

Reaction score
Looking to buy a Sport track. Would like a v8 4 wheel drive with the class 3 hitch .

Any advice ? The v8 seems like a small displacement. Is their any way of increasing gas milage ? Thanks for any advice. :haveabeer:

I have the same truck with 2 wheel drive. I love it. It tows like crazy and the gas mileage is VERY reasonable for a V8.

52,000 miles and I get 23 on the highway at 65 mph, 15-16 around town and 14-15 towing around 6,000 lbs.

The 4.6L has plenty of horses for what I need. The picture shown is approximately 5,000 pounds. After loading everything up, bikes, Kayaks (on the roof), all the camping gear, fire wood, water (in the camper), two coolers of food, ice and beer... and more beer, my fat @$$, I guest-i-mate it's around 6,000 lbs.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they do. Do a search on this site for "Roof Racks" and there a recent post for how to remove them.

The recent post was from "Mustang Guy" on 10/21/2010 titled "Roof Rail Removal"

I will underscore most of JustJimmy's comments!

I have a 2010 V8 4X4 and it does have excellent mid-range torque/pull, at least compared to the V6 which I've also owned.

There's nothing like the feeling of mashing the right pedal at 65 MPH and it just effortlessly pushes forward :driving:

I've gotten up to 20 MPH on the highway, suppose it'll increase? I only have 5,000 miles.

PS to JustJimmy, your camping / ATV setup looks like the recipe for fun! These trucks are beyond versatile...consider this setup? He has a place to sleep! He has his ATV! He STILL has his ST bed with locking tonneau to hold a mess of gear, luggage or whatever all while pulling 4-5 people in car like comfort (with potential for NAV/DVD/SAT radio at about 20 MPG! All things one cannot do together with most SUVs/Vans/Full-Size trucks! Long Live the 2001-2010 ST ! Ford are you listening???

Wanted to ask JustJimmy? Where are your fog lights? I have never seen a 2nd Gen ST without foglights? Very interesting!

Cheers, B3

Where are your fog lights?

B3 - never had them. The ST didn't come equipped with them. It's an XLT model (Not Limited). The only option I got was the rear sliding window and a power driver's seat.

BTW - Thanks for the comments on my rig. We LOVE camping and have already started this year. Have 7 - 8 trips planned in the next 7 months. One of them in February is planned to see the LAST SHUTTLE LAUNCH! Gonna be a bitter sweet day in history. We have trips planned for ATV riding only, Biking and Kayaking only, just relaxing camping, river rafting in northern Florida and week long trip with all three (ATV, Biking and Kayaking).

Our last ATV ride was very dirty... that's me on the left. I was the ONLY ATV with fenders!! Unfortunately, I had about 50 pounds of mud stuck to them. Kept most of the mud off me though! The guy on the right had a 1987 Honda 3 Wheeler ATV that he just restored. It was hilarious watching him go through a foot of mud with that thing. As you can see, he was a BIG GUY and it looked like an adult on a kids tricycle.

[Broken External Image]:

Living here in South Florida is impossible to camp in the summers - just too damn hot and buggy. Beginning October through May is absolutely awesome weather and we take advantage of it for sure.