Losing performance, need ideas to improve.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve R

Reaction score
My ST is pushing 100,000 miles and I have started to notice that the performance has decreased. Looking for any ideas to improve the power. If anyone knows of a cheap high flow y pipe of high flow cats, please let me know.

Thanks

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends what you call "cheap". Check out the aftermarket parts page. There are a bunch of performance parts on there.

random tech. sold by the sponsor. i wouldnt exactly call it cheap but its the only one i know off. and i have only heard good things about it

What eddie said

I would not start installing perf stuff on a 100K engine.

Y-pipe will get better sound but only 4/5 RWHP, not enough bang for the buck IMO

He already has the intake and most the other stuff... but no tune?!?!?!

Get a custom tune to get every bit out of the mods you already have!!

check with todd z and the zabtek crew.

i agree with bill on the performance vs. dollars spent, not worth it imo.

Thanks for the ideas. Yes I have done a tune up, clean the air cleaner and replaced the plugs and wires. I am thinking my cats may be getting restricted and need to be removed or replaced.

Steve

Steve,

Have you checked for compression leaks? I'm thinking a valve or ring issue or maybe even a vaccume leak.

Sorry about the above comment, was just the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the thread.

No leaks that I can tell of. I replaced vaccum line 2 months ago. I am thinking the I ahve a build up of some sort in my cats, I think this a good time to talk to Todd Z about some of his toys.

Steve

I'd opt for a computer analysis of my engine before investing in some exhaust equipment. I mean if you replaced your cats and the issue was still there...

I had another car that hit the 100K mark and was starting to lag a bit....it turned out I had some bad rings and valves that needed to be replaced......had the engine rebuilt by my former HS. Only cost me the price of the parts.

How do you test to know for sure your cats are the prob?

To truly test the cats. A shop needs to put a hole in the pipes between the cats or weld threaded bungs. They run a pressure drop test.

Latest posts