loss of power

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cozzy

Reaction score
I have a 2003 6 cylinder 4.0 sohc and it seems like it stops getting fuel any ideas i already changed filter

Hey, welcome to the board! You're only about hour away from where I am. Anyway...
You are going to have be a little more specific. What exactly is happening?

A code reader (even a simple one) might be handy. I'd need more information to know where to even begin.

OP, you say It seems like it stops getting fuel? How so? What does it do?

AS I am driving it seems to drop down to an idle like it is not getting enough fuel then quits running if I shut it off for about 5 minutes then it will start back up

Hmmm... my first guess would be fuel pump.
Does this happen when idling or will it happen when you are actually cruising at speed?

You could check the fuel pressure but if the problem is intermitant it might not help much. There are a bunch of folks on this forum that have seen a lot with these trucks. I would advise waiting for some more folks to chime in.

I personally had a similar issue way back before my fuel pump finally crapped out... it would only happen if I let off the gas too fast. Soon after it would not start back up at all unless I did the key bump trick. Soon that stopped working too and I had to replace the fuel pump.

I strongly recommend that you either get someone to pull all its current codes or buy yourself an OBD2 scanner. ...or we're going to be playing 20 guesses.

It could be...
Fuel sender unit
Fuel rail pressure sensor
Mass Airflow sensor
...or something else.

Even a cheap OBD2 reader is better than nothing. It will at least point you in the direction to look and begin to troubleshoot.

Definitely scan for trouble codes FIRST. Most larger auto parts stores will do it free as a service. Make sure you write the code "p0" NUMBERS down and post them here. Without scanning for codes it's just guessing. Do it.

Faulty fuel pumps are known to be intermittent and can be very tempermental. I'd say if it's original on your 2003 it's likely due for replacement. If you're not sure when the fuel filter was last replaced, change it. Fuel rail pressure sensor is another common failure and usually throws a p0193 code.

Anyone know if the 2003 is a pulse pump or a pressure regulated return system??
Also if you have some bad connections. The fuel pump safety switch. Some have had bad wires or even bad safety switch. That would have to cool down. Or the pump relay in the power box under the hood could be weak. Then also resets after cool down.
You can borrow a relay from one of the other circuits and try it. And use a jumper wire on the harness to the pump safety shut off switch. That way you can check those 2 circuits. Easy to do.
High millage you can almost bet on the pump.

Check the codes as others say. When you take the gas cap off, do you hear air rushing in, like the tank is under a vacuum? That indicates trouble with the evaporator canister, which could cause loss of power.

Latest posts