Lost 100 Miles per gas tank

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Kampos

Reaction score

Hi there,

It seemed to happen over night!!! I severly lost MPG...approx 100 miles per gas tank. The engine light is not on. Any ideas??? I have an 02 4x4 trac with 140,000 miles. 4.1 non-slip differential. My trac seems to idle well, but i've noticed that she is decellerating faster than usual.

This is what i've done to far.

1) Oil change with Mobil 1

2) changed out one caliper

3) new shoes and pads, machined both drums

4) cleaned my K&N air filter

5) 5 treatments of fuel injector cleaner. Anyone know of the best fuel injector cleaner???

6) new spark plugs and wires at 100 K

7) started using 94 octane gasoline as there is less ethanol in it..winter gas sucks!!!:wacko:

8) throttle body cleaner

9) checked and adjusted the psi in the tires

10) both front hubs/bearings are new

11) new sway bar links and tie rods...alignment is perfect

12) driving habbits are the same

Things i have not done.

1) looked into the O2 sensor and coolant temp sensor...but engine light in not on!

2) differential fluid, crankcase fluid...transmission fluid was changed at 100k

I hate it when things don't run perfectly...and I've been attacking this issue with everything I got. I have learned soo much from this forum..and Todd you are the man for starting this.

Any help would be appreciated guys. I hope i am over-looking something easy.

Regards,

Kamps

1: Unless your computer is programed for 94 Oct. you should not run it.

2: Running with defroster on (uses the AC) could cause the MPG go down.

3: Over oiling the Filter could cause it to act like it is clogged

It's probably the colder weather! It increases fuel consumption combinded with slower warm ups and thicker oil, etc especially if you make a lot of short trips, you vehicle never gets fully warmed up to operating temperature.

...Rich

thx guys so far.

I've done the fuel filter. And i understand everything you have said thus far and have considered it into my equation. This issue been going on for about 1.5 months. But I know my trac...5 years and no such problems before. the only reason I started using the 94 octane was to help clean out the injectors.

As well, I am noticing a 'gla-lup' sound every 20 seconds or so while waiting at a stop light...this started happening around the same time my fuel economy went south.

Keep the suggestions coming. Thx.

Kamps.

gla lup? like when the compressor kicks on n off?

also it is colder outside... do u have a remote start or do u run it for awhile before u get in to drive? because that has a much larger affect on the gas than you'd think! at least thats what i noticed when I started warming her up before heading to work.

If your vehicle is tuned for 87 then use 87 puting 93 in a vehicle tuned for 87 can actually lead to build up not remove it.

As for the lower millage it is probably due to a different type of winter blend. I know here they have started adding more and more elthanol into the fuel in winter months and I do notince a drop in mpg.

glu-lup sound...its not from the compressor i don't think. I only use defrost when needed and shut it off. I am curious to know when does the compressor kick in? the 94 octane was only used the past three tanks! problem has been consistent for awhile now. And I think its due to a warped rotor...causing braking drag. But I'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

thx.