Loud clunk in suspension area

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To be honest I don't know much about cars and I haven't found anyone trustworthy to bring my st to for maintenance so I started searching the web. This site is great. When I reverse out of my driveway and go off the curb a very loud noise/clunk comes from the driver side suspension area. When I drive everything sounds normal. Any ideas what this might be? Is this common with st's? It's an 01 w/ 76k miles. Thanks!

The first thing to check is your steering stops in the front. A little grease should fix the problem. To find the stops, turn your wheel all the way in one direction. Climb under your Trac and locate where your steering knuckle hits something. A little grease should eliminate to proglem. If the noise is still there, let us know. We will help you figure this out.

Tom

Thanks Caymen,

I have the same thing happening in my ST. (2001 with 105,000 miles) If it helps, it will not be the ball joints or the shocks. I have replaced both. (not troubleshooting the clunk, just normal maintenance) I will also check the steering knuckle.

Tommy

I have an 04 that did the same thing,,,,,,,turned out the spare tire was dangling. Chances are this isn't the problem,,,wouldn't hurt to take a peek.

steve:)

rear sway bar lug nuts all. check em.

And the backseat bolts.

And the spare, it can squeak also.

I checked the steering stops and looks like they need grease. Now I just need to go the store and buy some.

Steph -

Mine only does it also when I am reversing, have the steering wheel turned and go over a bump. I'll let you know when I apply the grease if that solves the problem. It probably won't be until the weekend.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Latest posts