Love that high quality FOMOCO paint

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff C

Reaction score
Well, lots of people have em, and I knew I had em on my hood. I've been watching them on the roof, but the last time I looked, they didn't look this bad. I'll be going to Ford in the next week to see what they say, see what's left of my 100k warranty. Here's some close ups for those that have not seen them before...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

My hood and roof look very similar. The roofs not as bad as yours, especially near your moonroof, but your fifth and sixth pictures look just like what's happening to my hood.

Strange, I dont have any of those problems.... Could it be heat related? Im up in Canada where its generally not as hot as some places in the US...

No, it's a paint problem. I had my hood re painted under warranty at 35k. It only happens on darker colors on earlier model STs.

Solution-

Oribital sander with 150 grit.

5-6 cans of flat black.

Some 1000 grit.

Some masking tape and butchers paper.

And about a weekend's worth of time.

My tailgate looks like that and worse.

Don't try to remove the "explorer" emblem with hand wand at car wash place. The water pressure literally peeled the paint off my tailgate like it wasn't stuck at all.

Some of the original Job 1's had missing paint areas under the doors. I've been pleased with the paint job on my April 2000 build. It gets hot here near Sacramento in CA - 2 weeks of 100+ this last summer, so I don't think heats a problem for the '01's.

This is the very reason (or final straw) that caused me to trade the ST off.

Ford had repainted the hood at 35,000 miles for these "crows feet" cracks.

Now it had it on the roof and front fenders. Looks horrible after only 4.5 years.

Latest posts