Lower ball joints

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2 Bob

Reaction score
Hi to all, this forum looks great ! I am looking at replacing my lower ball joints on my 2005 4WD. Any comments or warnings before I start this project......any brand suggestions? Thanks to all who reply.

Last edited:
make sure those new boots are packed with grease even if it says they come with the boots packed already because hooked my grease gun to mine and they had a little grease but not enough for my liking, also if you're up to it i would look at just doing the whole front end i/e buying a kit that comes with new upper and lower control arms with the ball joints and bushings already pressed in. the kit also comes with tie rod ends and sway bar bushings and im not sure if its still the same but i did the math and it was cheaper for me to just buy the kit instead of buying everything plus pressing the old ball joints out and the new ones in. but this is all a suggestion id only do it if you have the time and money. 2004 FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 4.0L V6 Front End Kit | RockAuto

Agree with adding grease when new but be careful. Many interpret "PACK with grease" as full and often overfill them. This is especially true with upper and lower ball joint boots and tie rod ends. Problem is no manufacturer offers rubber boots separately meaning you need buy the complete part. When adding grease it's very important to add grease until the boot just begins to bulge then STOP. Also important to only add when the tires are on the ground with the suspension loaded. Buying a complete front suspension kit is good advice, but only if ALL the parts are needed. Very seldom are complete lower control arms replaced unless the bushings are worn. Somewhat labor intensive too.

Here's what happens when ball joints are slightly overfilled with the tires off the ground. Won't make that mistake again.
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/moog-problem-solver-quality.399410/post-3241612

Last edited:
At the moment I'll just stay with replacing the lower ball joints and keep my eye on things.. Thanks to everyone.