LYING, CHEATING Dealership?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Browning

Reaction score
Posted a bit about this before but I have found new things. The inside edge of my tires were wearing down really bad with less than 10k on the tires plus I have a wobble/rubbing noise at all rpms and really bad vibration at cruising speeds.

Just recently took it to my local ford dealer and told that I was having vibration and tire issues and suggested it may be the alignment, ball joints or wheel bearings. They said it was an alignment problem and that the wheel bearings and ball joints where fine.

Picked up the vehicle and they surpirsed me with a $170 bill. They said they had to install a camber kit to get the wheels aligned yet they never told me about this. (truck is bone stock) I found it really strange that they said nothing was bent but that it was necessary to have the kit installed to align the tires. But after looking at the print out of the specs the front tires are not even aligned!!! The camber ratio was .20% to -1.20% and mine is at -1.17% and -1.15% for the other side. Thats in the yellow just a fraction of a percent from being in the red and out of spec. thats not acceptable to me at all.

So they are trying to tell me that a stock height vehicle with no damage needs an alignment kit and yet you cant bring it even close to being aligned? They had no answer for me. All they said is you'll have to talk to our service manager when he comes in next week.

So i take it for a drive and the exact same symptoms i asked them to diagnose for the cause of the problem are still present. So I bring it home and decide to jack up each side of the truck myself. I grab the front tires with the wheels on and still bolted tight and wiggle them side to side. They moved about a quarter inch each way. The rears had no play at all.

Is this normal? My logic is that if I can wiggle the tires and yet they are bolted tight to the hub then it seems like my bearings are going south. The same ones they assured were fine. it feels exactly as if you were to back each lug nut out a few turns and then shake the tire. That cant be normal?

What do you think? Did i get scammed like the news report on Jiffy Lube not doing and of the work they asked to have done to their test vehicle?

Do you think the wheel bearing are the problem?

Am i right to aske that my money be refunded and for them to fix it right because they put my life in danger? Im pretty sure 70 miles and hour down the highway and a wheel bearing blows out is not a good thing.

I appreciate your comments.

Jason

First gen don't even need camber kits (well at least on my 04). They have adjustable washers and what not. I learned this kinda the hard way but now I know.

Nonetheless, the dealership should've contacted the owner for approval instead of just installing the kit at their discretion.

You can easily look under the truck and see if they installed a camber kit ....

I do agree the dealer should have not performed ANY work without your consent..

As far as the play, there should be none, Maybe there is a play"spec" by any kind of movement can wipe out tires...

As far as the bearings blowing out and falling off, they will make a loud growling noise for a while first before any thing serious happens..

Todd Z

My dealership installed the camber kit on my '04 under warranty. You need to talk to the service manager, or better yet, call the 1-800 number for Ford.

Latest posts