Major Water Pump Failure

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
Turns out this leak was a catesrophic water pump failure. The coolant bottle was bone dry. Plus I had about 0% pad life left which could be the reason why the brake fluid was low and completely rusted rotors. And a dead battery, which I knew about but didn't have the time. Cost is about 525 for all the repairs. I think thats fair. And yes the truck was towed! Thank goodness, I can only imagine how much damaged could have occured.

A question: Where is the water pump located on the 4.0?

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you know what it is and are getting it fixed before any more damage,

But seriously that list seems like you slacked in the routine maintenance dept...

Todd Z

Things are crazy on my end. My wifes dad died, water supply line burst in my house cause about 35K in damage, then in the process the house caugth fire. So yeah I have lacked behind on care. Just crap hit the fan. The pads and rotors I knew were rusting pretty bad but thought I could make it through the winter. 50K on the original brakes is pretty good. The battery is 5 years so that was part of the next service visit, but it died before I could make the appointment.

I've had two really bad water pump failures. One in the '87 Cadillac my mother used to have, we borrowed it to go to my (now ex-) in-laws for a holiday and it exploded on the way home. 350 miles to go, thank God for Caddy Road Service and warranty. The mechanic couldn't fix it then, roadside, Sunday afternoon, but he dropped us off at the closest airport to rent a car and called a flatbed for the Caddy. Last year when I was on vacation one of my employees was driving the decrepit Neon beater I used to have, same thing, water pump exploded and also took out the timing belt. About $250 and I had been thinking about replacing the timing belt anyway. A few months later it dropped a valve, I didn't think it was worth fixing (I had dropped enough money on the POS already with other crap) and got $384 on trade.

The waterpump is located right in front of the engine. If you look where the lower radiator hose connects to the engine and where the fan is connected to, that is the water pump.

Not a hard project. I wish you lived closer to me. I would have hooked you up.

Tom

Latest posts