Manual Transmission / 4x4 question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave bird

Reaction score
to the experts:

I have narrowed down my truck list (3rd vehicle for us till 13 YO can drive) and the 1st gen sport trac is on my short list.

Question: can you get a manual transmission with a 4x4? I know the manuals are rare to begin with.

Also, what years had manual transmissions available...was it 01 and 02?

Thanks!

Be careful on the 01 - 02 models they have had some issues that were cleared up in the 03-05 years. I just got an 05 and it is awesome, however no manuals were offered that year.

Yes, the manual tranny was available in 4x4. Yes, it was available in '01, '02 & early '03. I am curious as to why do you want the manual tranny? I have heard that most off-roaders are going to automatic tranny's. Unless you have a burning desire for a manual tranny, I would go with an '05 4x4 w/ automatic tranny.

If you do get a 4x4 w/ manual tranny please do the following:

I was doing a search on the Ford 5-speed manual tranny, and came across this on the Explorer 4x4 Forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mazda 5 Speed Manual Transmission

Many Explorer/Navajo owners have went with synthetic transmission fluid hoping to extend the life of the transmission. I use Mobil 1 Synthetic fluid. Synthetic fluid handles high temperatures and pressures better then conventional fluids.

Another preventive maintenance tip is to replace the rubber plugs in the shift rail bores with steel freeze plugs. The rubber plugs have a tendency to dry up and leak, and/or fall out. The plugs are located in the transmission top cover and face towards the rear of the truck. The part numbers for the metal plugs are: Dana #219-3052 or Dorman #555-108, you will need 3 plugs to do the job.

The hydraulic clutch, slave cylinder/throwout bearing is another item you should pay close attention to. After time, the slave cylinder fails to release the clutch completely. If you are having trouble shifting into 1st and reverse while stationary or if your truck creeps forward with the clutch pedal depressed the slave cylinder/throwout bearing is probably at fault. Unfortunately there is no easy fix here as the transmission must be removed to replace the combination slave cylinder and throwout bearing.

http://www.explorer4x4.com/tips.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
My 03 was made in February 03, hardly early 03, and it's a manual. As far as I knew you couldn't get the manual the first year, check edmunds.com to get the facts.

The clutch sucks in these things, I've had mine replaced already and I only have 55k on it.

Wow...quite sobering but the usual awesome, complete response!

I'm not big into off-roading but prefer a manual for the fun factor and to teach my daughter on. Sounds like not the right choice on a ST. I will refine an 05 auto 4x4 but the prices are a bit higher on these... of course since they are newer. Probably worth it if all or most of the bugs are worked out.

Thanks all for the answers!

I love my 02 4x4 with manual trans, it's fun to drive. I thought the 03 year was supposed to be the perfection year of the ST.

We have one member who shifts his auto like a manual Of course it is going to break...:lol:

I read sonewhere that only 3% of Sport Tracs were built with manuals. Couple that to the fact that you're looking for a 4x4... Well, good luck. If you find one, be prepared to travel all the way across the country to pick it up.

Latest posts