Manual Transmission

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan Cook

Reaction score
Hey guys i want to make my 05 sport trac manual. Would the jeep 4.0 5 speed drop in? Is there any bolt on 5 speeds that work with the sport trac? Any idea on the total cost of a project like this? Thanks

What you propose can be done, but you're looking at a LOT of work. Some 01 and perhaps 02? Sport Tracs had Manual transmissions available, but you may be able to adapt one from a Ranger. You would have to swap out many components, so a good donor vehicle will probably be needed.

Others on this site can provide you more detailed information.

My 03 has a manual, it came like that from the factory. So don't bother with one from a jeep, just find one that already has one in the junkyard and swap it. Honestly the manual isn't better then the automatic, it has it's own set of issues and since so few have it nobody knows what to do. At least the automatic people know how to diagnose.

Yes, The explorer Sport and Sport Trac 2001-2003 Manual is what you need....

I also believe the Manual was used in earlier trucks also....

Todd Z

Not only will you have to have all the hard parts and hardware. You will need the ECM and wiring harness. If your xlt has the high console. That will have to be changed. The manual Tracs shifter wont work with it. IMO it is cost prohibitve and the labor involved is extreme, even if you do it yourself.

Also some states wont allow for that type of change on inspection. Vin# is matched with equipment.

I was doing a search on the Ford 5-speed manual tranny, and came across this on the Explorer 4x4 Forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mazda 5 Speed Manual Transmission

Many Explorer/Navajo owners have went with synthetic transmission fluid hoping to extend the life of the transmission. I use Mobil 1 Synthetic fluid. Synthetic fluid handles high temperatures and pressures better then conventional fluids.

Another preventive maintenance tip is to replace the rubber plugs in the shift rail bores with steel freeze plugs. The rubber plugs have a tendency to dry up and leak, and/or fall out. The plugs are located in the transmission top cover and face towards the rear of the truck. The part numbers for the metal plugs are: Dana #219-3052 or Dorman #555-108, you will need 3 plugs to do the job.

The hydraulic clutch, slave cylinder/throwout bearing is another item you should pay close attention to. After time, the slave cylinder fails to release the clutch completely. If you are having trouble shifting into 1st and reverse while stationary or if your truck creeps forward with the clutch pedal depressed the slave cylinder/throwout bearing is probably at fault. Unfortunately there is no easy fix here as the transmission must be removed to replace the combination slave cylinder and throwout bearing.

http://www.explorer4x4.com/tips.htm

Latest posts