Mars Rover II, Rest in Peace

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson Atwell

Reaction score
Pretty much a done deal, due to the failed engine, she will go back to the US, never to be seen again. :(

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

that's a shame...those are badass lil cars fo' sho'...my boss drives a sweet "true red" one(looks more like orange to me)...what are you going to drive next?

No idea yet, Bart. The current wisdom I hear in Europe is don't buy an "F" car (Ford, Fiat or French). Pretty good bet, with my recent experience, I will follow their advice. :(

Nelson, my dad was in Germany last year and said that they had a diesel Ford focus there. It was so quite he didn't even know it was a diesel till the driver told him. Might be an idea with fuel prices the way they are over there.

How about one those POS 2cycle russian made cars? Cant remember the name. They are cheap. By the time you finnish your tour, it will be wore out. You can leave it on the curb for the trash truck..:lol:

Get a Skoda. I bet those are REALLY nice cars.

The Mazda goes back to the USA to get an engine installed? Why not bring it back?

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom, it would cost around $2000 to ship back, plus around 27% customs duty. The Skodas are actually the most popular brand in Poland. They are made in Czech Republic, but Skoda is owned by VW. They are actually some of the nicest cars on the road. I wouldn't be surprised one day to see them sold in the US.

Fast Eddie, there are only a few of those Trabands left on the road. They have plastic bodies, so rust is not an issue. I am not sure if they can be put into a recycling bin when they finally die. :lol:

HighLife, I am leaning towards a VW Golf or perhaps a Skoda. They are plentiful as used cars. I probably won't get a Merceds or BMW due to the high cost of maintenance. Whatever it is will need to be reliable and fuel efficient. It will be a disposable car, since I won't be able to bring it back to the US when I leave.

I won't own another new car in Poland. The roads are too bad. Besides the engine issue, my car is beat to hell from these horrible roads. It has body and suspension damage, as well as missing parts from thieves. It isn't worth even half of normal book value in its current condition. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup,

Kinda looks like Rover II also... :D

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

The Skodas are actually the most popular brand in Poland. They are made in Czech Republic, but Skoda is owned by VW.

I guess Skoda came a long way since I was in Europe last. At that time, if you owned a Skoda, you were laughed at.

Tom

ToddZ, that would be a very nice Mars Rover III. :lol:

Tom, Skoda has come a long way since the 1990s. I remember them back then and they were much like Yugos.

I hope everything works out, i like the one i posted above.

I say go for it!!!

Can you bring a skoda into the states when you come back.. If not maybe a used one ??

Todd Z

A 25 year old Skoda would be hard to find that actually runs. :)

Euro Spec cars would require a lot of modifications to bring back home. Emissions, glass, bumpers, headlights, taillights, etc all are different here.

I can always get a Fiat 126p Maluch cheap. At least they run and I can find parts for it, sometimes lying on the curb. My best friend's mom drives one of these. Her's is green. :lol:

4d71c768358849137a6566947fb8f469.jpg