Max A/C recirculation door not functioning

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil V

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on here. I have an issue I was really hoping someone could help me with. 05 Sport Trac

Recently my Max A/C stopped working. All fan speeds work, all vent positions work. I diagnosed it far enough to know that the recirculation door isn't opening all the way from behind the glovebox. If I manually actuate the door with Max AC on fan speed 4, it will stay about 1/4 open. Other than that it barely opens.

I replaced the actuator thinking that was bad, but when I replaced it, no change. I checked out vacuum lines under the hood, and the vacuum reservoir. Everything seems to be in tact. I've had no other vacuum related issues other than this. It seems it isn't pulling enough vacuum to open the recirculation door.

Any ideas of what to check out next?

Thanks in advance,

-Phil

At one time a member posted a link to how to repair the recirc door. I will try to find it. I might have it save in my Trac Tech folder.
Have you checked the vacuum check valve. They are cheap. In most cases any will work if the tubing size is right.

Okay. That would be very helpful. I posted on the facebook group and didn't get much help. I wasn't sure how active the forum is anymore but I know this is where the real knowledge is. Thank you so much Eddie. I scoured the forums last night before I slept and found a couple things about the vcv and actually went out last night at 10:30 pm when I should've been sleeping to test it. It has failed. So I ordered a new one from Rockauto and I'm really hoping this solves my problem of low vacuum.

Since I have your assistance I was wondering one more thing. It's been bugging me endlessly for this summer and last. Only when it is very hot and humid out, I get an intermittent misfire on startup. It goes away as soon as I hit the throttle. It concerns me but I'm not sure how to address it. New coil, plugs, wires. Clean my TB, MAF and IAC often.

The shop told me it must be my timing chains and gave me a $3300 quote. For a 385000 km truck I don't feel just in spending that. They aren't experts on Sport Tracs but you guys are. Anything you might suggest? Original injectors... I do run seafoam through the gas tank once a year. I also run 91 octane shell gas with no ethanol. If you have any tips that would be amazing

I had an old Mercedes that required 92 octane, it ran poorly until It got on the hwy. A fellow at a refinery who did the blending said to run a half tank of 87 next fill up. the car ran fine after that. He said the premium gas didn't have a "good front end octane".
'hope that it works for you.

I could try that but unsure of how it will affect Torrie's 91 torque tune that I run

Since I have your assistance I was wondering one more thing. It's been bugging me endlessly for this summer and last. Only when it is very hot and humid out, I get an intermittent misfire on startup. It goes away as soon as I hit the throttle. It concerns me but I'm not sure how to address
It could be any of your suggestions.. I had a similar issue, about 5 years ago. I also live in a humid climate. Texas gulf coast. What I found was. I pulled the plug wires off of the coil. I found My #3 hole had some corrosion in it. I used my dremal with a straight soft brush. Cleaned it out and washed it with contact cleaner. While at it I cleaned all terminals and plug wire tips. Problem never returned.
Just a suggestion, because my Trac acted the same as your explanation.

Thanks Eddie. I had the problem before and after changing the coil, plugs and wires so I wrote that off as being a potential culprit. I really thought that's what it would've been.

About the octane... I figured as much. I think the shell v power with no ethanol is pretty good stuff. I can't see the fuel being the reason for the issue. Perhaps it's also something vacuum related.

Anyways I got the check valve in the mail today and quickly swapped it in. I didn't have an intermittent misfire, so I'll be keeping an eye on that too. Maybe the vacuum issue is the reason for it also? I know that check valve had failed because I tested it. But no luck in fixing the recirculation door issue. It still does the same thing. So I took off the hvac control panel and all the connections there are good, everything going into the box are good, as well as under the hood, and the vacuum reservoir is fine. Maybe it's something inside the ac box?

Any luck in finding the thread about the recirc door? I didn't have any luck at all searching for this specific problem.

Thanks again,

-Phil

Any luck in finding the thread about the recirc door? I didn't have any luck at all searching for this specific problem.
Phil, I'm sorry this slipped my 71yr old mind. I will spin up my external drive to see if I saved it..
You might try PM swhawii. I think he may know where the article is.

That's okay Eddie. I appreciate your help thus far. Completely understandable. If you can find it great! But I will definitely message him and see if he knows