Metal to metal noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byron

Reaction score
Any help?? When I turn my truck to the left there is a squeaking, slight metal to metal sound in the right wheel well. It only happens when I've driven it for about 5 miles. I guess something needs to warm up. I took all the plastic covering out, it's not the shock, lower ball joints were replaced a few years ago, I took the tire off and greased all the fitting. Maybe the upper control arm? It's almost like the tire is rubbing against something, but it's not. This has become personal with me now...Any ideas?

Brake pads wearing evenly & not the caliper depressing one side more & not returning properly?
Checked the wheel bearing? (know how to?)
Axle in place 100% ?

Find the problem ASAP tho.
Mine would randomly make noise & before I could even get to inspect it....... catastrophe

Seen the wife pulling up from work & the tire was slanted & smoking.
Ended up having to replace the knuckle, axle, bearings, tie rod, lower ball joint, & upper control arm.

Luckily I got all in good condition from the junk yard except for the tie rod & lower ball joint.
Transmission was going & not worth putting more money into it, so I junked it soon after.

Def not worth waiting to find out what the problem is.
Gotta learn the hard way.....

pic was right when my wife pulled up with it smoking.

Attachments

• 87030200_10220516422241765_4648705084580954112_n.jpg
    87030200_10220516422241765_4648705084580954112_n.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 98
or Could be bad wheel bearings or wheel hub. also a rock stuck in the backing plate or a bent backing plate.

Check the sway bar links. The rubber grommets on either end fail which leaves metal to metal. It should be pretty obvious if that's it. They are cheap and easy to replace.

Any help?? When I turn my truck to the left there is a squeaking, slight metal to metal sound in the right wheel well. It only happens when I've driven it for about 5 miles. I guess something needs to warm up. I took all the plastic covering out, it's not the shock, lower ball joints were replaced a few years ago, I took the tire off and greased all the fitting. Maybe the upper control arm? It's almost like the tire is rubbing against something, but it's not. This has become personal with me now...Any ideas?
Grab the top of each front tire and pull and push it very hard. If you feel movement and hear a kind if clicking sounds. Its your front wheel bearing/Hub. 450.00 each at Les Schwab. Found that out the hard way last month.
Hope that eliminates the problem not finds its. Good luck.

Latest posts