Mice in engine air filter intake box

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard H 2

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
It has been quite some time since I've posted on the forum. My 2003 XLT was replaced with a 2007 Limited, V-8 in March of 2019. This past summer I found a mouse nest inside the engine air filter intake box, cleaned it out and have been using sticky traps, which I remove before running the engine. Has anyone found a way to prevent mice from entering the intake box? I can see where the engine air intake is located behind the radiator. But, there isn't a lot of room to work in the area. I have thought about installing some type of wire cloth but don't want to create problems with reduced engine air intake. Suggestions are welcome.
Richard

Gutter guard screen.
Metal & big enough not to hinder air flow but small enough not to let mice through.

Never had any issues like this before, but this is what came to mind.

Thanks for the suggestion Tombstones81. As I can't get my hand between the air intake and radiator, I am contemplating installing something like gutter guard screen on the air intake entry inside the air intake filter box. My only concern is mice may decide to build a nest in the tubular section between those two points. Perhaps the easiest way to accomplish the task would be to remove the air intake box, except I am not sure how to do that. The box is anchored on the bottom and I hesitate to just yank it up lest something break.
Richard

Looking at a picture of an 07 Air Box.
It has the same tabs as the video below (miss the old internet days when searches returned what you search for & not a word here & there)

Look up pics of your box yourself before you go try removing it, if you want to be sure.

So I would assume its removed the same way it is in this video.

Heres on example, but placed at the box inlet.
60942d1372707992-how-airbox-mod-9a600-airbox-modified.jpg

Yep,
~ open AirFilter UpperHousing, use a BungeeCord to hold it out of the way,
~ spray lube on 4 MountingStuds on AirFilter LowerHousing,
~ remove AirFilter LowerHousing with a PryBar,
~ delete InletVenturi\Restrictor from AirFilter LowerHousing,
~ optionally cut\enlarge Inlet opening
~ install WindowScreening\ExpandedMetal over Inlet to keep rodents out
~ optionally replace Ford# fa1658 with Wix# wa6734 for larger\deeper paper filter
~ clean MAFSensor+ThrottleBody & inspect for AirLeaks while you're there
60941-how-airbox-mod-mice.jpg
2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.AirN_Filt.Box1_Ford.f77x-9a612-ac.GIF

More info at
https://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/Engine_AirIntake_Filter

Last edited:
Thanks guys - appreciate your quick reply to my dilemma. Once the weather warms I will definitely add a screen barrier.
Richard

About a month ago, my daughter's car had a mouse inside the interior, so I decided to check the ST. The air box was filled with nesting material. I pulled the airbox out (wish I knew about the lubricant trick mentioned above because it took A LOT of force to get it free) and cleaned it, then I sprayed it with this: Rodent Repellent I also used it on the interior of both the ST and my daughter's car. No more mice, yet, but not expecting it to be a long term solution. Nice peppermint aroma for awhile.
And, in a "while I was at it" moment, I also pulled the HVAC fan housing out and there was also some nesting material in there that I removed - the fan had been making a racket at higher speeds for a few weeks.

Attachments

• nest.jpg
    nest.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 136
It has been quite some time since I've posted on the forum. My 2003 XLT was replaced with a 2007 Limited, V-8 in March of 2019. This past summer I found a mouse nest inside the engine air filter intake box, cleaned it out and have been using sticky traps, which I remove before running the engine. Has anyone found a way to prevent mice from entering the intake box? I can see where the engine air intake is located behind the radiator. But, there isn't a lot of room to work in the area. I have thought about installing some type of wire cloth but don't want to create problems with reduced engine air intake. Suggestions are welcome.
Richard
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger! I discovered, what appeared to be, a squirrels nest in mine. What really pissed me off is that where I had the vehicle serviced, they said my filter was dirty and it should be changed. I agreed and they changed the filter. IMPOSSIBLE to not see the acorns and nesting material (made from firewall insulation mostly) and they never said a word. I asked for the old filter and it was put in a bag. A couple of days later I decided to look at it. The filter was a K&N which was installed by the owner previous to me! Completely serviceable/cleanable. Went to AutoZone and bought a cleaning kit, cleaned it and decided I'd put IT back on and put the "new" one to spare. (Mind you, I'm only pissed at this point that they didn't tell me I had a K&N in there and they would have thrown it away if I hadn't asked for it). I installed the K&N and that;s when I discovered the squirrels nest! I put all the nesting material in a plastic zip-lock and I blew a gasket! Went back to Grease Monkey, got the manager. Showed him the nest, showed him the K&N (which was nice and clean/oiled). He pulled up the tech who performed the change and chewed his ass out in front of everyone. Then apologized to me and gave me a full refund. I appreciated that but I've never been back. I really appreciate this post and the advice everyone is offering you (and now me) and anyone else who has had this issue. My latest issue was a mouse in the cabin. Got in my glove box and chewed up napkins, and sadly, a hole in my manual cover and some other documents. I've NEVER had an issue like this before!

Luckeley, My part of Texas we don't have that problem. I have heard of some out in the country side. getting the wiring chewed up, from a parked project car.
I did have a dodge shadow work car, I only drove to the chemical plant. I found the trunk, under the spare full of fire ants. I don't know what they were after, or how they got in. They never came in the cabin.

FireAnts & TX are synonomous.

Late entry here. My wife had a pack rat in the cabin air filter. I put some poison under the hood. About 3 months later I opened the hood of my ST and their was the poison pellets. Haven't had any problem since 🤪

Update - I was able to install a piece of fabric cloth in the air intake duct and have resolved the mouse issue - so far so good. I would also like to add a piece of fabric cloth to the cabin air intake but can't find where it is located. Can anyone point me in the right directions? My 2003 XLT had the fresh air intake located under the windshield wiper cowl. I've also seen where some fresh air intakes reside in the passenger side wheel well, on some makes.
Richard