Microsoft Software CD's, NEED HELP

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
Back in the "day" you used to be able to find your activation key on the disk somewhere. Here's my question,,, I have 5, XP disks and cannot find the key code for 3 of them. Is there a way to find that info on the cd itself. I need to reformat one of my pc's but could not tell which disk to use? Yea Yea,,, stupid me:wacko::blink:

Anyone have a clue on how to retreive this info? Thanks

If the computer still boots download the utility below and it will tell you the key that it has on the computer.

If all of your winxp disks are purchased retail and not OEM disks then it should work fine on any of them. Only differance would be if they have SP2 or not.

It doesn't matter. The disk makes no difference as long as the code matches the type of disk that it is. ie: Retail SP1, Retail SP2, OEM SP1, OEM SP2....

You can also look on the computer case itself. For most PCs with XP, the manufacturer puts the key code stickers on the outside / side of the PC case.