Mileage and the cracked elbow

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaffo oxnard

Reaction score
I have been having erratic idle, stallling at first start-up when under 70 degrees overnight. It always smoothed out after 1 mintue or two, but it began stalling in the driveway and really getting bad when the CEL came on and codes 171/174 appeared. Past year I have only put 6,000 miles on it, but the mileage has been HORRIBLE - 10 mpg at best around town. exhaust has been smelly rich for a long time.

I did the cracked elbow repair. I am only on my first tank of gas, but it appears to have booseed the mileage significantly. I'll track it for a while and see.

It must have been leaking for a long time, but not triggering the CEL.

Get in there and change it out!

try unconnecting the battery for 20 minutes, then reconnect and drive it for an hour or so to that the computer will re-learn its settings...

I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago. Same exact symptoms and the code CEL cleared after the battery reset. I noticed much better throttle response as well.

I replaced the IAC a while ago. I'd bet that it is NOT the culprit 99% of the time - it is really an air/vac leak that is messing up the idle. To test my theory I have a neighbor with a 05 who has recently seen a big dip in mileage. We'll try and spray propane out of a plumbing torch around the engine compartment (not lit) and see if the rpm jumpes, then look for the leak. WD40 works just as well, just leaves a mess.