Miles Per Gallon

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Wilson

Reaction score
O.K.,

2005 Trac XLT Premium Plus, 5,380 miles (not sure of axle ratio yet):

Last two fill-ups:

Last:

430 miles, 20 gallons of gas = 21.5 MPG;

Next to Last:

445 miles, 19.8 gallons of gas = 22.5 MPG.

Am I losing my mind or what!

The last four fill-ups, above two included, have been over 20 MPG!

I do the "level ground, truck facing the same way, same pump and station

thing" that the owners manual recommends for a consistent average.

No mods (yet), drive like Grandma Moses, 70% Highway, 30% City driving,

but I still can't believe it, with all of the posts out there complaining of 15-

18 MPG. And I DO hit passing gear once or twice a day, to keep the carbon

out of it, or to pass the Sub-speed Grandma Moses'!

:unsure::D

First off, sounds like you have a 4.10 axle.

You MPG is what most people should get. Some fail to see that taking off fast eats the gas like there isn't a tomorrow. I have a ScanGuage installed in my Trac. Lately I have had it set to see the gas mileage average. It works great. Driving home from work, I get between 20 and 22 MPG. The drive home from work is 10 miles, give or take .1 miles, Of that 10 miles, about 4 is city with traffic lights that are time just right that you will get every one red.

It is amazing to watch the MPG's drop while sitting at a traffic light.

I try to drive 55 MPH on the highway.

If I take off slightly agressive from each traffic light, I can only get 17 MPG. If I take it slow it will be over 20 MPG.

Terain has alot to do with MPG's. If you live in a hilly area, you will consume more fuel then those that live in the flatlands. On my way home from work, I have one hill that is about 200' high. it is very steep and when it snows, the hill usually gets closed down. Just going up that hill, my MPG drops 1 MPG.

Tom

That might be one thing that I forgot to post about my driving habits, or terrain.

Of that 70% Highway driving that I stated, it is not really flat-open highway

that you might see on I-75, I-65, or I-40. It is Highway 412 E-W, Lewis Co.

to Maury Co. Tennessee. It is classified as a Two-Lane Rural Highway.

Speed limits from 40 to 55 m.p.h. Somewhat winding and curvy, in places.

Two large hills that I have to pull on the way home, but I figure I get to coast

down those same two hills on the way to work, so it should average out.

I think Roger and Georgia may have posted on an earlier post, that he thought

he might be getting 26-28 m.p.g on the true open highway. I would not doubt

that one bit, from what I have seen with my trac.

:)

Nost Trac owners could get similar mileage if they lived where you do and were not subject to city driving. You probably only have one red light in your local town. compare that to cities that have traffic lights on every corner and the freeways are like bumper to bumper parking lots.

I get about 17 MPH driving around Waco, TX. While we do have some red lights, we rarely have any bumper to bumper lines of traffic. I always like to say that we don't have a rush hour, we have a rush 10 minutes. In cities like Dallas adn Houston, you can be on the interstate and standing in heavy traffic 30 miles away from the city.

...Rich

MPG has a lot to do with the gas you buy. I've always gotten better mpg with gas bought in the rural areas and even more so in the south. In the northern cities the gas formulation does not provide the best mpg since it has 10% Alc and other additives that reduce pollution and mpg.

I'm glad to hear the 20 / 22 MPG reports. I do the same gas pump, level, same direction fillup thing (simple) and have consistantly gotten 20.x MPG. I don't baby the Trac, but I don't beat on it either, just drive it.

I had a rental Thunderbird one time with the on board trip computer. I left it on "instant mileage" most of the time. It was great fun to see it hit as much as 70 mpg going downhill.