Miss Firing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
2 posts on here about engine codes reminded me to look up the codes (Thanks Todd for the link in one of those 2 posts ;) ), and I saw this:

The MIL will blink once per second when a misfire is detected severe enough to cause catalyst damage. If the MIL is on steady state, due to a misfire, this will indicate the threshold for emissions was exceeded and cause the vehicle to fail an inspection and maintenance tailpipe test.

Since my spiffy scangauge II had told me that I was throwing P0304 for a while, and I had the CEL doing its strobe thing and then going solid yellow a fair amount, does this mean that my catalytic converter has bit the dust? The consensus here is to yank out at least the first 2 (do we _really_ need 4?!) with the Y pipe, but going the full replacement way is a bit costly...do I need to start putting my $$ into the exhaust fund?

It can't hurt, I guess, since I do still have some Flowmaster Super 44s floating around, so I could go for the whole setup, and from a previous post I've realized that going for the intake before the exhaust (which makes sense to me), is apparently bassackwards in the eyes of many here, so I could catch up with where ah should be, performance wise...

*Verbose-ness aside, how endangered are my catalytic converters?

(In my eyes, this is just another nail in the coffin for the loser who designed these emissions systems...though when the $$^$^ing pcv elbow broke and only the e-brake kept me from obliterating a nissan maxima, that coffin was nailed shut and buried....)

Miss Firing...who you meet when Miss Information tells you that your backfire is really your transmission, and you believe them....

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly If your getting a misfire code, there is something wrong...

If you run the engine long enough and raw fuel gets into the cat, it will destroy the cat causing a replacement to be needed...

Sounds to me you have a bad plug, wire, coil or injector...

I would fix it asap..

Todd Z

Todd, I just fixed it last Thursday, but I had been having the symptoms for some time :(

I'm just worried about how much time "long enough" is, cause I fear for those converters now :(

I'm just worried about how much time "long enough" is, cause I fear for those converters now:(

Why do you fear for those converters. Are you in fear that they do not work anymore? Do you fear they will self destruct?

If your engine runs fine, have plenty of power, and passes smog check, have no fear.

Those little guys under your vehicle are safe and sound.

Tom