Mobil 1 Tranny Fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreman

Reaction score
I went to Wally World last night to get an oil change, and the only trans fluid they had that said "Mercon V" on it was Mobil 1. I'm not one to mix different fluids in the same case, but isn't Mercon V part synthetic anyway? Anyone use Mobil 1 transmission fluid before?

I had a difficult time finding Mercon V for my 2001 Ranger. I ended up with Valvoline. I believe Mercon V is all synthetic, although I could be wrong. But I remember being surprised when I read that about Mercon V.

Any Ford dealer sells the Ford Merc V

Todd Z

I don't do dealerships if I can help it.

I've been to a dealership for parts maybe twice in ten years, for things no one else carries.

My Trac has only been to a dealership once since the day we bought it, except when looking for a replacement for my GMC. That was for a warranty item. When we picked it up, the service manager tried to sell me $500 or so of "required regular maintenance". Only a small part of the list of things he had were on the Ford maintenance schedule, and I'd already done the real required items myself.

I understand a company is in business to make money. I just don't like businesses that try to make money by lying.:angry:

There was one dealership I used to use for parts all the time, and we bought our Trac there. Mac Haik Ford in Houston. The only problem is they are 45 miles from the house now!:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you have some one ship the fluid to you ???

I buy fluid over the net all the time..

Todd Z

I hadn't thought of that. I might look into that next time.

But is there any problem mixing the Mobil 1 that I now already have with the existing tranny fluid? I'm only going to drain the pan and replace the fluid. The filter gets changed next month.

As long as the fluid says it is specific for the Merc V compatible, there should be no problems, BUT as always if something starts you may have to look at the fluid first...

Todd Z

Mercon-V from the Ford factory is a semi-synthetic. Many oil companies make brands of Mercon-V fluid that are 100% synthetic. I have used Pennzoil brand Mercon-V in both of my Sport Tracs and it work great...Never had any tranny problems.

I would recommend that you stay away from brands that are said to be "Universal" tranny fluids and claim to meet all specifications for all transmissions. I find that highly questionable?

I amd not familiar with Mobil-1 Transmission Fluid, but their synthetic engine oil products work great and I use it in all my vehicles. My new Mercedes came from the factory with Mobil-1 and requires oil changes only every 10K mile or after one year.

...Richard

I was gonna have my tranny flushed over at Pep Boys which they do for around $120 w/ Penzoil I think it was. They were allowing me to substitute the fluid with Mobil1 synth MerconV. But the Mobil1 was like $9 per quart and they needed 4 gallons for the flush, and were only gonna knock off $30 for the substitution, which left me paying over $250 after taxes. Too much for me and off to the dealership I went and got flushed for about $140 after taxes.

I don't think you would have had any problem using Pennzoil's Mercon-V, that's what they used when I had my ST tranny flushed.

Most Lube centers, etc, will have a specific brand of oil and fluids they use and either will not allow you to change, or if they do, you will pay a higher price for the service.

I have a local Kwik-Car lube center that I have used for years, I even know the lady who owns the shop. They only charge $54 for a tranny flush, but they charge $85 if the transmission requires Mercon-V, because it is more expensive.

I also question why they require 16 quarts of fluid for the flush? Kwik-Car only requires 12 quarts to do the flush. It sounds like they are wasting about a gallon of fluid. The transmission only holds 10 quarts, and 12 quarts should be enough for good flush, but 16 quarts sound like they are going overboard at your expense.

...Rich

Latest posts