mobil 1

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess we could debate engine terminology, etc. all day but it all goes right back to the same question -

Why would I want to take the chance of damaging an engine that may be difficult or impossible to repair, depending on such things as the availability or lack of parts, especially when I could avoid the issue entirely simply by being careful about the type of additives that are in the oil I choose to use?

blken8k,

I'm not saying you should take chances with your classic "Flat tappet" car. Of course if you never run the engine, you would eliminate all chance of damaging your precious flat tappets, or you can throw caution to the wind and just enjoy the car without being so anal about something that is probably pretty irrelevant considering the mileage you are putting on the vehicle on an annual basis. Remember, everytime you start the engine you are risking that some part will break. If you drive the car and enjoy it, then there is always the risk that something will break or wear prematurely.

I would think that someone has already bottling a zinc additive that you could add to any modern synthetic oil that would give you the best of both worlds...the zinc to protect you flat tappets, and the extended, superior lubrication properties, and heat tolerance of a modern synthetic oil.

...Richard

My 1975 302 Mustang was well over 400 + hp and I broke the engine in with regular oil and converted to Valvoline synthetic at about 6K miles...

The car had Rhodes( Hydraulic ) lifters with roller Rocker arms...

I beat the snot out of that thing, Drove it hard, changed the oil every 3-6K depending how I felt..

When i yanked the heads and cam to go bigger and crazier you could still see the cross hatching in the cylinders and the can showed little to know wear at all... heck i reused the Lifters....

That thing is still running today, the guy drives it every day.....

I think it is 140K miles now....

Last dyno run was close to 450 RWHP.....

ON my sport tracs....

My 04 was beat to death by the previous owner, late oil changes, always used regular bulk oil from a shop...

Not a noise...

My 03, beat to death, always used M1 after first oil change.... Every timing chain makes noise and I may have to yank the motor this summer and replace them...

Todd Z

On the ST change it when the light comes on. Oddly enough the mileage at which the light comes on can be changed with a Ford IDS. I believe the mileage intervals are 5K 7.5K or 10K

Latest posts