Mom's failed tranny! Help!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAN PETERSON

Reaction score
O.K.

A year ago I sold my 2002 ST with 29k to my Mother. Today she calls me and says the tranny is shot and is going to cost between $ 2,100. and $ 3,500 to fix. The ST only has 32k on her now.

Can anyone give some helpful advise I can pass on to Mom? Like what is most likely the problem, and how much normally to fix it. Would Ford kick in for the parts? Any warranty?

Thanks for any help, she loves her Sport Trac.:(

A 2002 is no longer under warranty.

Contact a local tranny shop. They will be cheaper and build it with upgraded parts. The dealer is not where you want to take it.

Tom

Go to the dealer, not a tranny shop. Thats very low mileage to have a trans failure. Ford may work with you on cost depending on how good you are with your dealer. I have a had trans failure in my 99 Explorer with 39K miles cost was 3900. Since I've going to the same dealer for 9 years at that time, it only cost me 900 for a complete trans rebuild. I ended up putting 100,000 miles on it before I traded it in for the trac.

He may be like a lot of us that never see the dealer after the sale. I haven't been back to the dealership I bought the Sport Trac from since I picked up the plates for it in Feb 2003. I had my GMC for 9 years and 283,000 miles and never saw the dealership after we got some trim added my wife talked them into throwing in on the deal. Our new Dodge is the same way, although with the lifetime warranty, I will have to take it back at 5 years from the purchase date for a free inspection to maintain the warranty. Otherwise the dealership disappears from my mind as soon as we get the plates.

ditto to dreman.

Although I was there yesterday picking up new end links.. $23 up here in Ontario, as opposed to $14 in the US. :angry:

I do agree with you. I've heard countless issues with both inedependent shops and dealers. Just a choice. I had a long standing relationship with the dealer. I just don't have time to do the work myself or trust any of the independent shops around here. Plus they give me a loaner when I drop the trac off at no charge.