Mom's tranny fixed. Cold air intake voids warranty?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAN PETERSON

Reaction score
My mother took my old Trac to Custom Transmission in Spokane WA. It had 32k on it when the tranny went. I had a K and N cold air intake installed in the Trac when I owned it.

Got a call from mom tonight, she said the intake must be put back to stock in order for her new warranty on the tranny not to void. I said that's crazy.

Can you guys look at pics in my profile, I think there is a couple of shots of the CAI.

Some tech. at the shop says a CAI can cause tranny failure, Can anyone set him straight.

thanks, Dan.

THe cai itself can't casue tranny failure but if a cai is installed and the air filter is overoiled and it contaminates the maf the trans can and will shift weird and sometimes make it feel as if the trans is failing...are you sure the trans is going out???? at 32k I would be awfully suspicious

This is a common flaw in the tranny design. Almost everyones tranny has failed anywhere from 30k to 100km... Its not the CAI, its a 2-3 Flare most likely.

Go with you mom to the dealership and have them explain how the Cold Air Intake will coild the warranty on the transmission? Then after you hear their lame excuse, tell them that the will be in violation of the MMagnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1974 which clearly states that the presents of an aftermarket part does not, and cannot void the warranty unless they can prove that the part caused the failure. Trying to prove that the Cold Air Intake system caused a transmission failure is going to be pretty much impossible because there is no relationship.

It's like saying that your aftermarket wheels and tires will cause your turnsignals to fail ???

If you let them know that you a knowledgable about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, they will probably just shut up when they realize they can bluff your mom but not you.

...Rich

This is a common flaw in the tranny design. Almost everyones tranny has failed anywhere from 30k to 100km... Its not the CAI, its a 2-3 Flare most likely.

165k miles on my original transmission without any problems at all.:)

Rich L, though I hate to take this side, that really isn't what the MM Act says. The purpose of the act is to permit the use of REPLACEMENT parts that aren't made by the dealer such as brake pads, oil, filters and the like. Unnecessary aftermarket parts ie CAI, are not protected by the MM act as they technically change the way the vehicle was designed. Yeah, we all know this is crap, but if the tranny malfunctioned due to oil residue on the maf sensor from the oiled air filter (this isn't a reality), you can't expect the dealership to resolve this problem. This problem/solution would never be part of a ford techs training since no ford (to my knowledge) comes with an oiled filter.

That being said, even if THAT particular dealership were to tell you the warranty is void, go to another dealer. Voided warranties cannot be assessed by the dealer, they can choose not to fix your vehicle for the cited reason the warranty was voided, but they don't have the power to void the warranty which means it won't be documented and another dealer will probably do the fix. I say this from experience.

The only warranty that would be voided in the case of a CAI, would be anything related to the induction system such as oil on the maf, a damaged filter etc. Voiding the warranty is a dealer specific thing and the ones that are threatening this is hoping that you will pay for the repairs instead of using the warranty which nets them more money. Go to another dealer and if your worried about the CAI and warranty, put the original air box back and get your tranny fixed, then replace with the CAI. This will eliminate any dealer BS.

:blink:I thought the problem was that the transmission was repaired by an independent shop and they won't warrant it until the after-market filter is replaced with the OEM filter.:wacko:

Spif,

I understand your point, and that the MM act is designed to protect owners warranties for replacement parts like filters and brake pades, etc. But the MM law is very specific in that they warranty service cannot be denied simpley because they observe an aftermarket part. Of course they are not responsible for the aftermarket part, nor any damages that were caused by the after market part, as in your example of the filter oil contaminating the MAF. That is directly caused by the oil from the aftermarket filter.

I do disagree that the Cold Air Intake radically modifies the intake system that it would or should void the warranty on the entire intake system of the engine. I agree that oil contamination on the MAF or if the engine sucked in a nut or bolt from the CAI then that would not be covered under the warranty. The shape of the filter, and air box, or where the slightly cooler temperature of the inake air cannot cause engine damag

And the Cold Air Intake would surely not have any effect on the Transmission.

The Dealer does not have the right to imply that they have a different warranty, and they sure cannot imply a warranty change after they installed the transmission...Assuming this was a Ford dealership that installed the transmission. If it was a different transmission shop, such as AAMCO, etc they do not have to honor Ford's warranty, but the MM warranty act still applies to their transmission warranty. It's no different than saying that aftermarket speakes will void the transmission warranty. If the written warranty does not specifically stipulate that an aftermarket air air filter is not acceptable and will void the transmission warranty they they must provide free air filters. I don't think a transmission shop wants to do that either.

I'm sure there is no such wording in they written warranty and the shop is just trying tp pull a bluff because the cold Air system implies that someone may be racing the vehicle.

...Rich

I thought the problem was that the transmission was repaired by an independent shop and they won't warrant it until the after-market filter is replaced with the OEM filter

Your right Tracket, I always manage to overlook the little details. However, my longwinded ramble still applies. What's worse is I wrote another response to Rich but have removed due to your point.