more new engine options from ford

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:angry: For cripes sake, now they are saying end of 2010, early 2011. The diesel and the ecoboost were supposed to be introduced in the new 2009 model F150, didn't happen, when the 09 model came out they were saying end of 09, early 10. By next year it will probably be bumped to freaking 2012. COME ON ALREADY FORD.

I was looking forward to trying out the new engine in Feb 2010 on my next F150, but it looks like I will be getting the same old 5.4 when I get my 2010.

Maybe they are just trying to pacify ford investors, maybe these products they are talking about is just that, talk.

Perhaps they are filiments of fords imagination:rolleyes:

With the output of the echo-boost V6, why would you need the heavier V8? I bet the insurance companies jump on the Horsepower of the V6. Charging the same rate as the V8.

The lighter V6 will deffinitly help the handling. The only thing is you wont have the sweet sound of a V8. That would be missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, here in Texas they do rate on Factory HP. That is why many a street rodder here will take a base mustang and build it up. Even new base pony V6 here that are fully loaded with all options. Will insure for less than an older no optioned Stang GT.

Here not only replacement value but the more factory HP will also put you in a higher bracket. In texas you best not let your agent know you have been boosting your HP.

may be wrong but I don't think insurance companys base rates on H.P

Are based on replacement value.

Not really, they base it on a bunch of different statistical information. Example, my F150 King Ranch costs less to insure when compared to my ST. Going from the ST to the F150 was a $300/yr drop in insurance rates.

Maybe Kali is diff than

My agent (allstate) told me it makes no diff to them, only thing they suggested that I also buy Gap ins to cover the diff between a GT and the roush, which I did, was cheap.

Bill, there is a difference here. I wish there wasnt. Harris county where I live even has its own set of rates per car. In some cases it might be 2 times the rate of a neighboring county. Texas Insurance went after HP as part of rate decision mid '70s and never droped it. Example I thought of is late '80s stangs. A 5.0L LX stang cost as much as the GT to insure. It was the HP output. I wanted a 5.0L LX stang back in late 80s' couldnt swing the insurance back then. It was the same as the GT. So I bought the low HP '88 5.0L T-bird. Tore the motor down and built it back up with more HP than the factory stang. Thats the pic of it in my library.

My experience, for what it's worth:

When I bought my Corvette, new in 2005, I got out the Preparation H and prepared to go to the insurance office for coverage, knowing three things:

1. Plastic car.

2. Two seater

3. 400 HP in a 2800 pound car

4. High performance

I was pleasantly surprised that it was the cheapest car of my four to insure!

I told my agent that I was surprised it wasn't more expensive. He said "just be glad you didn't buy a Mustang." When I asked why he told me because of the statistics, i.e. they get wrecked a lot more. Evidently there aren't many Vettes in wrecks, which was somewhat comforting.

So State Farm, at least in Oklahoma, doesn't go by HP or power, they go by statistics, and driving record, age, sex, etc. Since not many 50 somethings have wrecks, I got a break, more than the Trac, the Pilot and the Expedition. Cool!